4RT has fuel (wet plug) and spark but won't start...

trevbul1

2007 standard 4RT 250 was running fine but first, suddenly would cut out when the throttle was touched and now won't start at all. Checked the air fllter, plug, fuel feed from tank (fresh 99 fuel); the plug is wet and it has a spark; doesn't make sense that it won't run. No changes made to idle speed, always used to start on a dead throttle and throttle is fully closed.

Any thoughts please? I can't find anybody local with a diagnostic tool that won't charge me about as much as the bike is worth and reading the manual on diagnostics is gobbledegook to me, I barely understand one word in three... Bring back carbs and points!

Any thoughts gratefully received, cheers.

Make sure the throttle cable isn’t snagged anywhere and properly seated.

Fuel pump wire under the tank connected?

The little grey pipe that connects to the injector hasn’t come off?

Can you get hold of another throttle body to try on your bike?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jrsunt said:

Make sure the throttle cable isn’t snagged anywhere and properly seated.

Fuel pump wire under the tank connected?

The little grey pipe that connects to the injector hasn’t come off?

Can you get hold of another throttle body to try on your bike?

Cable OK, no snags and throttle fully closing. wires reconnected after flushing tank with fresh 99 grade fuel. regret we don't know any other owners

Do a reset first. Hold throttle all the way open, without releasing kick it twice.

Close throttle and start the bike. No throttle and let it run for a whole minute before you twist the throttle.

If that does not work adjust the throttle body one full turn counter clockwise. Try again, no throttle.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lineaway said:

Do a reset first. Hold throttle all the way open, without releasing kick it twice.

Close throttle and start the bike. No throttle and let it run for a whole minute before you twist the throttle.

If that does not work adjust the throttle body one full turn counter clockwise. Try again, no throttle.

Good Luck.

reset  what ? throttle open no fuel = need free play in cable, so all your doing is clearing the bore out  with air  so hardly a reset is it as, ive been on them 12 yr and have not found what it resets please tell me

17 minutes ago, Cookiemonster said:

Resets the ECU

when mines been running a few hours & is difficult to restart you follow the above procedure & bingo

i ask again resets what in the ecu  ?  as i say all that is doing is clearing out the bore of fuel and air mix  

Edited by on it
add

Mines the same, when hot if you hold the throttle wide open then push kickstart slowly  3 times, then close throttle kick over & fires into life, I bought mine used, the man I bought it of had it from new, he told me this  procedure & it works.

There is alot of things that has gone wrong with an older 4rt as alot of parts. Start with the simple and work ghrough it. I thought thefe was a thread on the TPS. 

Also disconnect the kill switch and also a thread on the angle bank sensor.

The list goes on and on.