Boots - How important are they?

McTrucky

As an unashamed newbie, I am balking at the cost of a pair of decent trials boots.  Seem to be around £200+

I am a life long victim of buy cheap buy twice, and know that quality costs, but delivers.  But still can't resist a bargain..

And that leads me to boots.  I am a newbie, and have MX jeans, upper body armour and a helmet, but my boots are a road pair that might provide some abrasion protection against sliding on tarmac, but little else.

There seems to be a choice of MX or enduro boots at £100 ish,  and also 'Adventure Road biased' boots for around £100, but little in the way of budget Trials boots.

My mate says a pair of wellies is all you need.  But he is thicker than me....

So what should I do.  Keep watching eBay for something to come up 2nd hand?  Make do with a cheap option until I know whether Trials is for me or not?  Or bite the bullet and splash the cash on a decent new pair?

I am a size 10/44 just in case someone is about to say they have a pair of last years model being replaced by Santa Clause in a couple of weeks 🙂

I usually keep my old trials boots on hand to lend to prospective trials riders but if they can't borrow something their size, I suggest they wear ankle-supporting industrial leather work boots. Work boots are way better than any non-trials motorbike boots for trials. Proper trials boots are better though, mainly because the heel on work boots sometimes gets in the way

You probably should say where you live if you want to borrow boots

Edited by feetupfun

Something like 90% of injury in trials is to the lower legs, good boots plus shin and knee protection are a must IMO.

If your going to Drumcarrow today, there are usually a couple of guys there who sell boots.

Also look up Murdo Macphail on Facebook, he often has second hand boots, and also budget new boots.

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 2

@b40rt I won't make it to Drumcarrow, currently travelling to Cornwall for a funeral.   Good to know for the next time though, thanks.  Not seen a 2023 fixture list yet, but will keep my eyes open.

@feetupfun I am in Kinross.  Never thought about asking to borrow a pair....  Good idea, that way I might be able to find a make and size that works for me, then watch eBay and Guntree for a pair turning up. 

• Thanks 1

I had a pair of these MS boots.  They were very similar to trials boots but did have a little heel.  Dual Sport/ Adventure boots have a full tread unlike MX boots that are designed to slide forward,  This makes a difference when walking sections.  I don't think they are made any more and went quite cheap on close outs.  

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/malcolm-smith-racing-introduces-new-dual-sport-boot-aj-dia/

@mcman56 I have been trying to do some research (and yes I do tend to over think things) but trials boots seem to have a flat grippy sole, some protection and a lot of flexibility for 'fine control'.  Nothing like the protection of MX or Enduro boots, which are like lump hammers compared to ballet shoes of a trials rider. 

Gaerne Balance boots seem to be available new for a not completely unrealistic £190.  Comments I have seen on them range from most comfy, best boots ever, to concerns that they are too flexible to provide ample protection, and the soles are too soft causing discomfort when standing up all day.

Guess I should just buy something, anything, and once I start trialling I will start learning what I do and don't like or need.  But I will hold out for some flat soles, just because I suspect the first boots I buy will last me for years, and if they should be flat soled, then that is what I should get.  Might just start with an old pair of road boots, or some construction worker boots, just to get going.

• Like 1

For reference, I did my first two trials events in second hand Lidl motorbike boots that I got second hand for a fiver.  I didn't use them for the third one because they were completely destroyed, one of the soles were coming off and the other had a split across.

I splurged on some Forma Boulders (at the time 150) and not only were they much better (strong flat sole with plenty of grip for walking sections) but I'm still using them now some 6 years later.  I use them when I'm riding my adventure bike too, because enduro boots give me a lot of discomfort in my knees.

Check with your local clubs if anyone might sell you their old boots, that's a budget way to try them without parting with too much money :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

For reference, I did my first two trials events in second hand Lidl motorbike boots that I got second hand for a fiver.  I didn't use them for the third one because they were completely destroyed, one of the soles were coming off and the other had a split across.

I splurged on some Forma Boulders (at the time 150) and not only were they much better (strong flat sole with plenty of grip for walking sections) but I'm still using them now some 6 years later.  I use them when I'm riding my adventure bike too, because enduro boots give me a lot of discomfort in my knees.

Check with your local clubs if anyone might sell you their old boots, that's a budget way to try them without parting with too much money :)

I did my first few events in a pair of secondhand military boots from the local army & navy store. My dad wouldn't spend the money on trials boots until I had got properly into trials and regularly competing. Even then I never owned a brand new pair, always secondhand, until I could afford to buy some my myself at 18 years old, and that was helped by sponsorship from my local dealer.

To The OP if you are just riding basic stuff and not really attempting anything rocky or similar then you will get away with alternatives as the other posters have suggested. But the reality is, as all these things, trials boots are specifically designed for trials riding thus offer the best protection with the most durability and flexibility as possible. Personally these days I prefer to spend my hard earned cash on a decent pair of boots then go cheap on other items like clothing etc... Boots, especially comfy ones with maximum protection is a must for me, since most of my trials injuries have been bashed up feet from jutting rocks etc... 

Edited by Intotrials

I bought some WulfSport trials boots when I started (the cheapest at the time), and they are still going strong. You only have to slip off the footpeg and skin your shin once to realise that you need proper high boots! I think I'll choose some slightly more flexible/light boots next time, but they are fine really. I try to treat them to some Duck wax now and then and they keep out water quite well. Judging by the number of scratches and scars they have, they have done a good job keeping my legs and feet safe! There seem to be plenty of S/H boots on eBay  - maybe lots of riders are anticipating a visit form Santa?!! Good luck.

• Like 2

The trick is to buy new before the old is completely worn out. Keeping the old as spares. Or sell to a friend. Wulf trials boots is what I have been using the last 10 years or so. Now using HL. Best so far. Around 200eur.

Don´t buy motocross ones. They are too hard and slippery.

• Like 1

You also have to consider fit or shape.  I bought a pair of alpinstars but they were too narrow for my feet.  I have had several pairs of Gaerne and they fit a wide foot.  I now have Forma that fit like Gaerne but are a bit stiffer so I feel better protected.  They are also a bit taller.  The soles are more durable.