Hi all, new to trials!

dirtrider86

3 hours ago, turbofurball said:

Hello and welcome, whereabouts are you?  Have you got your own bike already?  How are you finding the experience so far?

Thank you!! I am near Canon City, Colorado and I started off with a TXT 300 pro 2004. Pretty happy with my decision since originally I wanted to start off with a 125 - 250 but now I am seeing at the beginning I dont really need one yet. I actually mostly trail ride with the trials on very rocky terrain and I go up and down the canon. Trying to get my balance right and forcing myself to stand up. so the 300 works perfect the way it is. 

I think once I get "more into true trials" like zapping, bigger obstacles, I might downsize into a 200 or 250 for more precise control. 

So far I really love it! Ive been very hooked and all I think about. Dont know because its new to me or what ha ha! But I also feel safer as well to venture out on my own and not get stuck. Its easy to lift and push your bike just about any obstacle. So I might just dedicate myself to trials only now ha ha

Yeah, I've been using my Sherco 250 mostly for trail riding after I broke my enduro bike trying to do silly things with it (I may have dropped it off a bit of a cliff, the recovery was a PITA and took 3 people and lots of climbing ropes), though for the coming year I'm going over to a Rieju Tango for more range.

Trail riding on a trials bike is fab once you've got the hang of it!

3 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

Yeah, I've been using my Sherco 250 mostly for trail riding after I broke my enduro bike trying to do silly things with it (I may have dropped it off a bit of a cliff, the recovery was a PITA and took 3 people and lots of climbing ropes), though for the coming year I'm going over to a Rieju Tango for more range.

Trail riding on a trials bike is fab once you've got the hang of it!

Oh no! Ive been in a similar situation! had my enduro fall off a cliff ha ha! But it was all soft grass so luckily nothing happened! As long as you are ok is all that matters!

When you trail ride, how long can you go without needing a break to sit down? is that something you get used to? That is the issue I run into while Im getting to the canyon on my trials, lower back starts hurting ha ha. I know trials is not meant to be trail ridden, but I assume it can help you by forcing yourself to stand up all the time through obstacles and true fundamentals of riding a bike, but my tolerance is so low haha

You do get used to it, and good form helps (core and leg strength too!  For me I do some extra up and down steps every day, but an exercise regime that includes squats will do wonders), but sometimes it's better to just fit taller handlebars to help with the back angle and when on a smooth bit you can rest in the 'dip'  while riding if you're flexible, or get a little seat (there's range extender seats that have extra fuel tanks underneath - the seat isn't convenient like on an enduro, just somewhere to take a the weight off for a moment).