Montesa 4rt 260 2020 Bash Plate

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there. I'm going to fit a new bashplate to my montesa. I see CSP do one and Mitani do a few too. Does anybody have one of these fitted so I can see from underneath the bike what extra they actually protect. The bike is actually a brand new 2020 bike that some guy had as an ornament and I would like to protect the underside as best I can as my local practice area is all streams and rocks. My beta is scuffed to hell on the frame near the foot peg hangers. I would rather avoid the same happening on this lovely mont.

I replaced with a CSP before I even started the bike. Biggest thing is the stock plate is too thin. Also look at how I cut the pad as to just remove the pad doing oil changes. I also put longer bolts in the rear, no need to remove the plate ever again.

20210723_170130.jpg

Screenshot_20221205-141322.thumb.png.8ae07cb4f79196fe4a26c745fa59bb83.png

7 hours ago, lineaway said:

Here

20210723_172538.jpg

Many thanks for the information and the pictures. Very useful indeed. Yes it definitely protects the underside more. I honestly had no idea before I bought the bike what a faff an oil change was on the 4rt. I had a beta Rev 4 in 2008 and an oil and filter change was a simple task. I'm sure the Evo 4t is similar.

What length bolts have you got on the back ? I see h&d racing do there own sump guard for £110 which looks pretty similar.

I also see you have bought a case protector around the front sprocket. Is the standard montesa one no good ?

Edited by gazzaecowarrior

The stock guard is fine. I waited six months for my bike and in the mean time bought all the CSP bling except the foot peg brackets. The frame at the brackets is the weakest link of the whole bike. Better to bend the stock bracket.

The bolt was just long enough to add a nut to. To change the oil filter just back off the bolts and remove the small rubber along the case. I silicone the pad back in place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lineaway said:

The stock guard is fine. I waited six months for my bike and in the mean time bought all the CSP bling except the foot peg brackets. The frame at the brackets is the weakest link of the whole bike. Better to bend the stock bracket.

The bolt was just long enough to add a nut to. To change the oil filter just back off the bolts and remove the small rubber along the case. I silicone the pad back in place.

Thanks for the info. I'm tempted to go for the Mitani full protection with the side wings. I'm just going to have to get use to the oil change procedure. I'm sure the more I do it the quicker I'll get.

58 minutes ago, lineaway said:

I did the full carbon fiber case covers, after a friend cracked the left side case by the oil passage at the top. Hairline crack, but he had to get towed back to the pits.

I have done the same. Engine covers, frame covers, swingarm covers and fork slider covers. Just the sump bash plate to get now. I always cover my bike with guards. The way I ride it's essential!!

• Like 2

I have a Mitanni one which is on it’s 5 bike now 

Thicker and longer at the back

I also think wider at the front  than the CSP one giving better protection to water pump and flywheel cover 

Will unbolt and bolt back on most times

I probably give it a straighten every couple of years to ensure correct geometry - I do ride a fair few rocks 🤣🤣👍

Edited by jimmyl
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jimmyl said:

I have a Mitanni one which is on it’s 5 bike now 

Thicker and longer at the back

I also think wider at the grim than the CSP one giving better protection to water pump and flywheel cover 

Will unbolt and bolt back on most times

I probably give it a straighten every couple of years to ensure correct geometry - I do ride a fair few rocks 🤣🤣👍

I've just ordered a Mitani full protection with side guards from H&d racing. 

Was wondering what people used to attach the rubber pad to the aftermarket bash plate ?

whatever is in the garage  - Brown/clear/white  -what ever was the last DIY project 🤣🤣🤣👍

The pad is pretty much trapped between bash plate and engine so its more just for assembly location I have found👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1