Montesa 4rt 260 2020 Bash Plate

gazzaecowarrior

22 hours ago, jimmyl said:

If only doing an oil change then buy a oil change syringe 

if doing filter take off bash plate and lay bike on its side.

change filter and fill oil before putting cover back on 👍👍

I'm a nurse so syringes are never in short supply. It's the only perk !! Very useful.

What oil change regimes do you use? Tell me in hours as I'm going to fit an hour meter.

My bike is brand new. Never been run in even. Despite being 2020.

I do oils ever 6 weeks approx depending what I have done or got coming up and change oil filter every other oil change.

on a brand new bike probably do oil and filter after 4 to 5 weeks then again similar time after then drop to every other.

I ride every weekend with an odd practice thrown in so in hrs probably 25 hrs but again depends on what sort of events done and coming up.

would do earlier if I had a national coming up etc

You’ll need a 500cc syringe - whatever they are used for 🤔🤔😩👍🤣

Edited by jimmyl

23 minutes ago, jimmyl said:

I do oils ever 6 weeks approx depending what I have done or got coming up and change oil filter every other oil change.

on a brand new bike probably do oil and filter after 4 to 5 weeks then again similar time after then drop to every other.

I ride every weekend with an odd practice thrown in so in hrs probably 25 hrs but again depends on what sort of events done and coming up.

Thanks for the info. 

5 hours ago, jimmyl said:

Do you change the gearbox oil at the same time you change the engine oil and filter.

Also what quantity engine oil do you put in if you have changed the oil filter and secondly if you haven't changed the filter and just the engine oil? 

Thanks gaz 

yep always do both

Oil qty is in the manual   - manual is available on line .

Good quality engine oil  -ATF in Gearbox 👍 (and wait 🤣🤣

Lubrication Specified engine oil Repsol 4T oil-stroke motorcycle oil SAE 10W-30 or equivalent

Engine oil capacity after draining 0.41 liter (0.43 US qt, 0.36 Imp qt)

after oil filter change 0.44 liter (0.46 US qt, 0.39 Imp qt)

after disassembly 0.60 liter (0.63 US qt, 0.53 Imp qt)

Specified transmission oil ELF HTX740 (75W)

Transmission oil capacity after draining 0.54 liter (0.57 US qt, 0.48 Imp qt)

after disassembly 0.57 liter (0.60 US qt, 0.50 Imp qt)

1 hour ago, jimmyl said:

yep always do both

Oil qty is in the manual   - manual is available on line .

Good quality engine oil  -ATF in Gearbox 👍 (and wait 🤣🤣

Lubrication Specified engine oil Repsol 4T oil-stroke motorcycle oil SAE 10W-30 or equivalent

Engine oil capacity after draining 0.41 liter (0.43 US qt, 0.36 Imp qt)

after oil filter change 0.44 liter (0.46 US qt, 0.39 Imp qt)

after disassembly 0.60 liter (0.63 US qt, 0.53 Imp qt)

Specified transmission oil ELF HTX740 (75W)

Transmission oil capacity after draining 0.54 liter (0.57 US qt, 0.48 Imp qt)

after disassembly 0.57 liter (0.60 US qt, 0.50 Imp qt)

Thanks for the info.

Ive read a lot of posts about ATF in the 4rt. Why not ? My old beta rev loved it and it made the clutch so much better. Oddly in my Evo I've always ran putolene nanotech in my Evo 2t to good effect. 

I was asking about the oil quantities as the betas run considerably better on less oil than is manafacture recommended. I was wondering if the same applied to monts. You obviously go by the book and I'll do the same.

13 hours ago, gazzaecowarrior said:

Thanks for the info.

Ive read a lot of posts about ATF in the 4rt. Why not ? My old beta rev loved it and it made the clutch so much better. Oddly in my Evo I've always ran putolene nanotech in my Evo 2t to good effect. 

I was asking about the oil quantities as the betas run considerably better on less oil than is manafacture recommended. I was wondering if the same applied to monts. You obviously go by the book and I'll do the same.

One of the benefits with the Montesa is that the engine and the transmission oil is separate so if you want to play a little with amount for how the clutch response, as I know some have, I suspect it shouldn't cause to much of an issue to set it a little lower (not to much as noted though). 

On that note I have done a little testing with different oils in my 07 4RT and my 17 300RR and in the process did end up with a little low on the transmission once but didn't find it made much of a difference.  I found that the type of oil made a much bigger difference in how the clutch felt than the amount did.  I have had the best results with the ELF HTX740 and the NILS Clutch Trial and I suspect I could get even better results if I switched out the plates to the after market dimpled set. 

Hope that helps a little on the perspective side of the fence.  good luck. 

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

One of the benefits with the Montesa is that the engine and the transmission oil is separate so if you want to play a little with amount for how the clutch response, as I know some have, I suspect it shouldn't cause to much of an issue to set it a little lower (not to much as noted though). 

On that note I have done a little testing with different oils in my 07 4RT and my 17 300RR and in the process did end up with a little low on the transmission once but didn't find it made much of a difference.  I found that the type of oil made a much bigger difference in how the clutch felt than the amount did.  I have had the best results with the ELF HTX740 and the NILS Clutch Trial and I suspect I could get even better results if I switched out the plates to the after market dimpled set. 

Hope that helps a little on the perspective side of the fence.  good luck. 

Thanks for the info. I'm days away from my first outing on it. The Mitani bashplate should be here by the weekend and all the protective covers are in situ. Once it's fitted I'm good to go !! I'm almost looking forward to my first oil change .

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 1/2/2023 at 6:01 PM, lineaway said:

I replaced with a CSP before I even started the bike. Biggest thing is the stock plate is too thin. Also look at how I cut the pad as to just remove the pad doing oil changes. I also put longer bolts in the rear, no need to remove the plate ever again.

20210723_170130.jpg

I just bought a montesa and my skid plate is totally coroded 

would you sell me your OEM plate? 

On 12/20/2023 at 8:52 AM, lineaway said:

No, I am saving all my original parts for when I sell it.

Thanks for the response. I called my local Honda dealer and they said there are only 2 of them in the country, so I got a new OEM one for $118.