Doug Lampkin DL12 screw up

leosantanalg

1 hour ago, rabie said:

if you hire a stadium (big cost) and then pay the costs to put the event on, you really, really want to sell all the seats (i think it was a sell out). If you advertised free live stream, or even paid live stream, would you sell them seats? It costs real money to get a film crew in, and stream / broadcast it - and what intreast has the poor sod putting event on, got in spending that money?

Exactly, well put

Plus, I am not sure how it works, but  I presume live streaming requires a fast and stable internet connection , something that cant be guaranteed  in this country.

Tickets were apparently sold out a good while back. Still time to announce between then and now that there will be live broadcasting and i doubt people will start asking for their money back. Easy extra revenue when you have a film crew crew there. Thats the hard bit. Turning it into a live stream is simple. 

• Like 1

I go to the Sheffield indoor trial each year its on and try to capture a bit of highlight footage to put on Youtube for all to see, see link below. This year was particulary tricky as they opted for low light and spot lights on the riders.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, faussy said:

I agree with the OP. Jitsie say they are doing a full recording and showing it next week to jitsie club members. Why not just stream the footage as you record it? And if you want to charge a premium to watch it live go ahead. Im sure more people would be prepared to spend £10 to watch it live than a week later. Jitsie and doug are very close, so hard to tell who called the shots on that but id say Dougie.

I wonder if the amount of extra tech and experience needed to live stream has an extra cost they are not willing to incur?  If so I wish they would have/or could have considered maybe some way to have people advance pay to help cover the cost or help them know if enough people are interested so they could have done it? 

Maybe they could have let cub members get a discount on live stream cost and non-memebers a full price option?  Maybe they could have more members setup with membership tiers that includes live stream on the gold membership and standard gets it a week later or pay a onetime per-stream cost? 

Just seems like they could have done something more to provide it for us live if they had put a little more thought into it. 

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rabie said:

if you hire a stadium (big cost) and then pay the costs to put the event on, you really, really want to sell all the seats (i think it was a sell out). If you advertised free live stream, or even paid live stream, would you sell them seats? It costs real money to get a film crew in, and stream / broadcast it - and what intreast has the poor sod putting event on, got in spending that money?

True, but still what about everyone outside the country that can't attend but would if they had the $ or where closer.  Would still be fantastic if they could give us something, heck I would even be okay with online later that day or the next day if I could.  I can still hope they might be willing to start streaming it sooner at some point. 

On 1/7/2023 at 9:33 AM, tshock250 said:

Will be available to watch next week on Jitsie.

LOL. Are you serious?? Spoiler alert: you gonna be able to find out Adam Raga won, Toni had 2 crashes, GG marceli took 3rd and Busto 2nd!  Lmao.  I would like to watch an event to cheer and bite my nails as they go head to head on it... if you follow these pros on Instagram and tiktok you probably already watched 60% of the event and by the end of the week you will have watched 100%. And Jitsie has the balls to charge $60 membership for this kind of garbage coverage??? Everyone is quick to defend the organizer! That's why this sport os so stagnet. ABSOLUTELY NO PRESSURE FROM THE FANS 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rabie said:

Nah.  There are plenty of companies that would do the broadcast free of charge just to sell the live stream and make money on it!! As a matter of fact in other sports, companies bid on the broadcast!  The event been sold out for while, thats not an excuse either!! When the dude from Jitsie went in front of the cameras at the warmuo area, he literaly said: " we are not broadcasting the main event live. There was a lot of controversy on social media ... bla bla bla!" I got kicked out of the main trials group on FB for pointing a finger at Doug and complaining about this! Surprised I havent been blocked here!!  For the records I never disrespected anyone, quite the opposite, I was called names as soon as I said his event is as phony as his wheelie record!!! Thats just my opinion and I will argue until someone proves me wrong!!! I KNOW i hurt a lot of colorful feelings when I bashed Doug Lampikin. 

On 1/6/2023 at 2:40 PM, leosantanalg said:

This guy claims he promotes the sport and won't even broadcast his mega indoor event that has been on the makes for months!

Probably gonna hurt a lot of feeling here but that's just fine! As a trials fan, I feel sad that one of the biggest names in our sport, does so little to promote the sport that gave him everything he has! No excuses, we live in a digital world of facebook live, tiktok and etc... If the dude that has all sorts of connections can't figure out how to hire a company to live cast a small motorcycle event, He is either super incompetent  or he is only in for his personal gain! I said it once and will say again: He is as phony as his wheelie record!! Rant over 

Have you met him?

I don't think you would say that to him, face to face................

Jitsie are recording it and editing it, it's available to their Jitsie club membership fan base

Join the Jitsie members club, then you can see it all

No such thing as a 'free lunch' in this world

• Like 1

from what i know of event promotion (i'ld like to think i know something) it does generally involce a large amount of cost to "cover" an event and then edit (be it for tv or internet), in terms of equipment, people, fast internet conections (i assume its easier in a stadium than an isolated rural location), etc. 

again in my humble opion while it would be very nice for it to be onsale or even nicer to be free to watch, i don't see whats in it for the orngaiser or someone else to pay to do that. congratulation to jitse for their work here, at the scott and SSDT, but i can't conceive of many other comerical organisation in our sport wanting to foot that kind of bill (red bull tv? maybe) versus little comercial gain (especailly to overseas markets where they can't really monterise your viewing)

• Like 2

The only benefit would be for an international body to promote the sport and help it grow, however because trials is a niche sport there wouldn't be a lot of point in investment there (this has been thoroughly hashed out in other grumpy threads).

Long story short, it's just not popular enough to get the sort of widespread coverage that's capable of paying for itself or turning a profit.

• Like 1

I attended the event and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes there are things to improve on but they addressed the previous issue of stale sections and for me the new stuff was brilliant to watch.

Step 1 was to get the event running again and that's been achieved.

Edited by baldilocks
  • Like 1