New (old) member, looking for advice

ibgarrow

Old road bike rider here in the north of the UK, wondering whether to try trials riding. I have the chance of twin shock bikes from the ‘70s locally (Northumberland) or more modern kit.

advice sought on a) where to go b) whether it’s too late c) older machines or newer and any other help.

budget is very low as my road bikes have swallowed all my spare money!

Ride what makes you happy, but the newer bikes are easier to ride and softer on an old body. I am 63, ridden trials for 51 years. I have plenty of old bikes. We have a vintage club that I have always supported, but I ride my modern bike instead of a proper vintage. The club would not exist, without the modern class riders.  The old bikes just beat you to death, but a lot can be learned on a twin shock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It probably matters what level you would ride.  The type of terrain makes a difference also.  I have a couple of modern bikes and vintage bikes.  At 66, I can ride more challenging things on a modern bike but a TY175 is the easiest on my body.  It is almost as light as a modern bike, kicks and starts easily.  It also has a seat.  Due to the power delivery, everything happens slower which is easier on brain and body.   It is mostly clutch out riding so easier on your hands because you are not constantly working the clutch.  The one exception is riding in rocks.  With 4 inches of rear suspension travel and 45 year old forks, you feel like a ball in a pinball machine when riding across a field of rocks or up a rocky creek bed.  I have not needed much but parts seem readily available.

That said, an 80 year old bud got an Electric Motion this year and loves it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mcman56 said:

... The one exception is riding in rocks.  With 4 inches of rear suspension travel and 45 year old forks, you feel like a ball in a pinball machine when riding across a field of rocks or up a rocky creek bed. ...

This is where having magicals springs up front and custom Rock Shocks out back has transformed my TY175, with the other changes I've made it feels almost like a modern bike (hopping around notwithstanding, but that's not my thing anyway).

In regards to the original poster, start on a modern type bike for sure - after 30 years of road and trail riding I started trials on a Gasgas TXTPro 125 for a year and it really helped me get the hang of things and know what I wanted from a bike a bit better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you opt for a modern bike don't fall into the trap of a large cc. No disrespect, though you maybe a very competent road bike rider, possibly used to handling large cc machines, trials is a totally different animal. Trials is about finesse and delivery of the correct amount of power at precisely the right moment whilst traversing difficult terrain in a small space. Unless you are a larger heavier person I would recommend a 125-200,  certainly no more than a 250.

The benefits of riding trials are numerous: 

• Its one of the cheapest forms of 2 wheeled motor sport
  • All the family can participate, there are even easy to ride electric versions these days suitable for young kids up to experienced adults.
  • The bikes are generally simple to work on and relatively cheap to fix 
  • You learn bike control skills you never realised you were capable of
  • There are lots of clubs that run local events with friendly like minded people who are always willing to help
  • It keeps you fit and also your mind sharp (The fitter and sharper you are the better you will perform)
  • The improvements you can make in a short space (especially so as a beginner) of time leave you feeling excited and exhilarated
  • You can continually set challenges to match your ability
  • It gets you out of the house (in all weathers)

I could keep going with so much more but you get the drift.

Good Luck!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2023 at 2:13 AM, turbofurball said:

This is where having magicals springs up front and custom Rock Shocks out back has transformed my TY175

What exactly do the magical spring do for the bike?  Are they overall stiffer or softer or just different?  What shocks did you have before rock shocks?

17 hours ago, mcman56 said:

What exactly do the magical spring do for the bike?  Are they overall stiffer or softer or just different?  What shocks did you have before rock shocks?

The Magicals have a progressive spring rate, like a modern bike, so the further it compresses the harder it gets.  They feel very plush and you have to be really beating on the bike to bottom them out :)

Before the Rock Shocks I had a pair of old original ones that still worked ok, and before that the bike came with a pair of generic chinese road shocks that were too short, lol.  On my Cota 349 I have Betors, and the Rock Shocks are much nicer (and have progressive rate springs too, rather than the old dual-rate ones).

I also have aftermarket triple clamps that steepen the steering angle and allow for raised fatbar handlebars, the frame is Majesty-ised, lengthened swingarm, footpegs moved down and rearwards, and various weight savings - that's what it took to get it to handle like a modern bike for me, some people like to swap the forks too, but I like the originals just fine.

• Thanks 1

Definitely not too late! I was 65 when I started and now I'm ....ahem, older.

I started on a modern, switched to a twin shock and then went back to modern. I bought the twin shock because I was doing trials mostly run by classic clubs. Then I realised that there was not much point in making life more difficult for myself and to ride twin shock (or pre-65) you need to have an enthusiasm for that type bike. I didn't have that passion.

• Like 1