Rewinding the Source coil

LaVern

Hello All,

Its been almost 2 months since I last posted about the  1977 TY250D 493 series that trying I am restoring for my son. Well in the process of replacing the points and condenser I managed to scrape the source coil pretty bad. Apparently the tool to keep the flywheel from turning stuck through too much at one point.  I'll post some pictures. Looking at all options I think rewinding the coil would be the most cost effective.  But to do that I need the resistance specs on the coil. I have a service manual but it is the European version and it doesn't have any info on an American version. 

Anyway, the specs I have give 2 different required resistance, one for 9 European countries and that spec is 1.6 ohms.  and the specs for the English model is 0.1 ohms.  Can anybody give me the specs for a 493 series sold for America? I already have the points and condenser purchased so I should probably try to use the magneto ignition vs. a  CDI though the CDI seems to be less maintenance and more reliable.  Thanks.  LaVern

Closeup Mag coil1.jpg

Magneto Source coil.jpg

Edited by LaVern

The "American" stator coil and the "European" stator coil are probably the same item and the difference in resistance values you are seeing in the reference material is probably a typographic/transcription/translation error.

I have looked at my reference sources for that resistance value and found the same error as you found.

If it was me I would just rewind it with the same number of turns, using the closest wire diameter I could find to the original. The resistance value of the stator winding is not a critical value. It is provided in workshop manuals for fault-finding purposes.

Feetupfun,

Thanks for that information. I have posted this same questions on the TY Yamaha forum, which I believe is out of France, and I have been corrected as to my thoughts about what coil was the source     (ignition) and what is  the lighting. It seems from all the info I got from them that the damaged coil is actually one of two lighting coils, and what is confusing to me is the left side stacked coils has the ignition on the bottom ant the top is the second lighting coil.  If that is the case, I don't need to do anything with the damaged coils because the bike has no lighting circuit on it.  I know that when my son bought it there were no lights, and no sign of ever having any lights or brake switches etc. When talking with the folks on the other forum I got the impression that perhaps Yamaha had lights on all of the TY250s.  I'll have to talk to my son about what he wants me to do. I've already bought new points and a condenser so getting the original magneto vs. a CDI unit would be less cost. I still have a while before I get to that part of the restore. Thanks again.

LaVern

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LaVern said:

Feetupfun,

Thanks for that information. I have posted this same questions on the TY Yamaha forum, which I believe is out of France, and I have been corrected as to my thoughts about what coil was the source     (ignition) and what is  the lighting. It seems from all the info I got from them that the damaged coil is actually one of two lighting coils, and what is confusing to me is the left side stacked coils has the ignition on the bottom ant the top is the second lighting coil.  If that is the case, I don't need to do anything with the damaged coils because the bike has no lighting circuit on it.  I know that when my son bought it there were no lights, and no sign of ever having any lights or brake switches etc. When talking with the folks on the other forum I got the impression that perhaps Yamaha had lights on all of the TY250s.  I'll have to talk to my son about what he wants me to do. I've already bought new points and a condenser so getting the original magneto vs. a CDI unit would be less cost. I still have a while before I get to that part of the restore. Thanks again.

LaVern

An excellent outcome