2018 Beta Evo 300 4T faulty fan.

chappo

Hi everyone, I have a 2018 Beta Evo 4T. The bike has been unused for 8/9 months. I ran it today and found that the fan didn’t kick in. I tried to move the fan by hand but it was very stiff. I put some penetrating fluid in to try and release what I thought was a seized bearing. I managed to get it to moving but when the engine was run up to operating temperature the fan didn’t kick in. I checked and cleaned all the connection, all were fine. Can someone advise me, is there a way to check the fan independently or by bypassing the thermostat. I’m pretty sure the fan motor has gone but would like to check before committing to a new one. Thank you.

On my 2016, there is a connector under the fender near the air box that connects the electronic petcock and the fan.  If you are doing anything in that area it is easy to disturb that connector.  It can look connected but is not.  I have to be very careful to push it together firmly.  I have had the petcock and fan not work in the past due to this situation.  

7 minutes ago, mcman56 said:

On my 2016, there is a connector under the fender near the air box that connects the electronic petcock and the fan.  If you are doing anything in that area it is easy to disturb that connector.  It can look connected but is not.  I have to be very careful to push it together firmly.  I have had the petcock and fan not work in the past due to this situation.  

Thanks. This is my fourth 4T and the first job I do is split all the connectors, clean them, reattach and secure them. Quite a poor design, they’re all loose and just flapping about 👍🏻

21 hours ago, chappo said:

Thanks Glayne, does it matter which wires +/- from the battery  I attached to the two wires from the fan.

I would try to investigate which one is grounded for -. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there could be any damage from connecting reverse polarity, fan may just spin backwards?