Chain tensioner block upside down Montesa 4rt

gazzaecowarrior

I've noticed that my Montesa 4rt which is new to me has a slack chain. Bike is 2020 but brand-new as previous owner had it as an ornament. I noticed a slight clinking noise when oiling the chain on the paddock stand before my first ride on fri. But on closer inspection I'm wondering is my chain tensioner block upside down. The chain must be making the clinking noise when it catches the frame on the horizontal bottom tube under the swingarm pivot bolt. With the tensioner block in the opposite direction facing up it would raise the height of the chain and solve this issue. Am I right in thinking this is the wrong way round? Surely the factory hasn't fitted it upside down ? Bike was brand-new and unridden when I got my hands on it.

IMG_20230128_204505869.jpg

IMG_20230128_185920545.jpg

11 hours ago, gazzaecowarrior said:

Will go over every nut and bolt tomorrow.

If you want it to last, suggest you grease the tensioner pivot,dogbone bearings (inc ones in swinging arm)and the wheel bearings. Others have found the steering head bearings to be a bit lacking of grease as well. Hope this helps.

Edited by lsv
fat finger syndrome

1 hour ago, lsv said:

If you want it to last, suggest you grease the tensioner pivot,dogbone bearings (inc ones in swinging arm)and the wheel bearings. Others have found the steering head bearings to be a bit lacking of grease as well. Hope this helps.

Yes definitely agree. When I fitted the swingarm, frame and fork protectors I removed all spindles and greased. They certainly weren't greased to the level I would do.

I hate doing linkages but I thing it would be a job worth doing sooner rather than later. Thanks 

• Like 1