Where am I going wrong? Beta 270 2008 kill switch

ibgarrow

As I’m new to trials riding, I want to fit a lanyard-magnetic kill switch to my ‘08 Beta 270. I also want to keep the manual switch.

I presume the kill switch is a normally-open switch, which, when used, simply earths the coil.

I followed the two wires from the existing manual switch, and added my magnetic switch wires to the same connections-one into the loom, the other, already fitted with a ring fitting, to the earth point with other earth wires, on the coil mounting. So now, when either switch operates, the earth circuit should be completed.

but this arrangement now only works when the magnetic switch is removed-when I put it in place, it kills the engine, *which is the opposite of what I want*!

help!

The two switches need to be wired in parallel and not in series, so it sounds like it should work okay. I would check that the operation of both switches are the same way button 1 open when not pressed and button 2 open when magnet attached.  

I suspect they are not the same.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, richt said:

The two switches need to be wired in parallel and not in series, so it sounds like it should work okay. I would check that the operation of both switches are the same way button 1 open when not pressed and button 2 open when magnet attached.  

I suspect they are not the same.

I suspect you’re right! But why would anyone produce a kill switch that worked in the ‘wrong’ way?

You’re right. I’ve checked the continuity, and this is “normally closed”! Having chopped off the terminals to make better joints, I’m unable to return it. 😤

it’s the simple things, isn’t it? I never thought there’d be a NC version, as most will work on shorting the LT.

I wanted a spare magnet and was told that Jitsie magnets don't work with Apico switches and vice versa. They are both open switches but the magnet polarity is reversed and apparently the magnet won't stay on. So that's the reason I knew they are not all the same, My GasGas works by earthing the coil. 

• Thanks 1