what category should I be entering

chairman

I've just to collect a 1975 bultaco Sherpa 350 and am a complete novice to trails having been riding enduro for pasts years ... What category should i be entering with this age of bike having cementing the bug from watching the Talmag last weekend but felt pre65 just not for me .....

regards Andrew Seymour 

That's a lot of bike for someone new to trials!  (I say this as someone who has a Montesa 349 and recently sold my Gasgas EC250 because I'm not doing enduro any more ... the Montesa is much more difficult to handle, lol)

Pre-65 is, as the name implies, for bikes made before 1965.  With a Bultaco you can enter twinshock events in the UK, or you can enter a normal trial although with a huge handicap on account of the bike's performance.  There's also a handful of European classic trials which have a 1975 and earlier classification.

• Like 2

Easy route, beginner would be my advice. Get the hang of riding the Bultaco in competitions on the easy route and down to 20 dabs or less before trying anything harder otherwise you will go off the whole idea. Riding an enduro doesn't automatically mean that you will find riding a trial easy. Once you get into it though it becomes addictive fun👍

Good luck

• Thanks 1

On the whole I’d agree with the first three replies there in that the bulto is a bit of animal to start trials on. 
However, I’d temper that by adding that it depends on what you’re expecting to achieve in the short term and how determined you are to get the hang of it. It’s great to know you got the bug while spectating at the talmag, but that’s a bit of a prestige event and a lot of the riders there are top talents, very experienced, & riding highly tuned & modified bikes, and they they really do make difficult look easy. Or at least easier than it really is ! Your bike should be eligible for most UK twinshock events, but also the twinshock class at your local club event. You can ride the beginner/white/easy course until you get the hang of it and move up to the next course when you’re ready for the extra challenge. At most club events if you started by entering the easiest course and found it too easy, you can speak to the organisers/observers and they’ll let you ride the next level for subsequent laps anyway. Remember, it’s a very friendly sport and if you get there early you can have a look round the sections & see which course/level you fancy a go at, and you’ll get plenty of help & advice as you go. Get out on your bike (even on the drive) & practice riding as slow as possible, full lock turns, very careful throttle control etc. You can lay a length of timber or a ladder down & try cris-crossing etc at very low speed to build up your skills. It’s not all about a big handful of gas to propel you up bankings etc, there’s a lot more finesse to learn. Hopefully you’ll get hooked & not disheartened, but if you start out & find out the bully is making it hard work, you can always go to a ‘modern’ bike to make the skills learning experience a bit more gentle. 
Good luck and I hope you really do get the bug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, bishyfishy said:

Easy route, beginner would be my advice. Get the hang of riding the Bultaco in competitions on the easy route and down to 20 dabs or less before trying anything harder otherwise you will go off the whole idea. Riding an enduro doesn't automatically mean that you will find riding a trial easy. Once you get into it though it becomes addictive fun👍

Good luck

Wow thanks for all that advice regards Andrew 

Thank you all for all the advise , I hope to say hello in person I’ll be the one struggling on the Red beast .. 

if I was going to buy a new bike probably go Sherco as I bought a new Sherco enduro bike and loved it after many years on KTM 

Edited by chairman

Andrew - there are loads of events where you can start off having fun on your twinshock at say a club level. Depending upon where in the UK you are there will be recomendation of when / where to ride. Thames MCC hold a big (Mike Kemp Trial) over christmas at the same venue as the Talmag (Hungry Hill).

• Thanks 1

Several clubs around the West country, including my own Ashwicke Classic club - Offer a Gentlemans route, this is where you ride into the section then ride anyway you like to get out through the ends cards.(As long as you don't cross your own path) We encourage novice riders to use this class as it gives them complete freedom of choice as to how hard they make their ride. If they wish to follow the clubman route thats fine, or if they are finding it all too easy they can ride the expert route. They can do exactly as they please to work out where their skill level or nerves will take them to.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

To be honest need a little support setting her up I’ve renewed many new parts via InMotion but can’t get carb running nicely or make clutch lighter is very stiff to pull lever in to the point of distraction .. can you recommend shop who could help me in Essex / Hertfordshire border 

I have van so transportation not an issue regards Andrew 

Twinshocks aren't meant to be ridden on the clutch, with a 350 you usually have a choice of a heavy clutch, or a slippy clutch (assuming your cable, lever, etc is in good oiled condition).  Carb tuning, however, needs a well-trained ear - best thing is to ask at your local club(s) because often someone will be around who does that in their garden shed ... hell, I got a full carb rebuild and tuneup in the parking lot of a trials event once for the price of a couple of drinks.

• Thanks 1