Technical Resources for Electric Motion Trials Bikes

konrad

For those interested, I have built a website devoted to Electric Motion trials bikes.  I intend it as a give-back for all the things I've learned via the internet over the years.  There is no advertising or commercial content.

https://www.electricmotiontech.com/home

Edit: Forgot to mention there's a very effective search tool built into the website - just use the magnifying glass at the upper right-hand corner.

Edited by konrad
  • Like 3

Great resource.  Thanks for that.  I am test riding an EM Race next month.  I have seen about the battery cells before and that you can buy new cells cheap but the EM battery pack is silly money.  It is one of the things that puts me off as it potentially means an expensive battery replacement at some point in the future.  Any way to have a DIY solution to replace cells at a reasonable price is a good step forward.

The section on Stark Varg suggests that there is a lot of potential to develop much better trials bikes in future.  Price is going to be the biggest drag on things for sure.

• 4 months later...

Cool.  Really interesting.  The EM is the wife's ride and I only use it a very small amount.  The real big thing you notice is the lack of flywheel effect.  My engineer friend has retired otherwise I would try to get a heavy flywheel like yours machined up.

I like the Dragonfly but it is out of my budget.  Also I see a lot of people saying there is new battery technology coming soon, so I will hang back for a while.

This is hte future I am sure and maybe 5-10 years it will be the normal for trials.

Thanks again for your wonderful contribution.

I found the regen section very interesting. If I read it correctly you seem to be saying that the regen terminals on the controller read 0 to 5v to give progressive regen, even on models where EM say you can only have fixed regen. Am I right?

Having not ridden with PRB, but liking my FRB, my ideal solution would be to keep the FRB as-is, but add a little bit of regen on throttle closed like the Dragonfly has. There are occasions when I find the EM a bit too free running. This is all on a '21 ePure Race BTW.

1 hour ago, trapezeartist said:

I found the regen section very interesting. If I read it correctly you seem to be saying that the regen terminals on the controller read 0 to 5v to give progressive regen, even on models where EM say you can only have fixed regen. Am I right?

Having not ridden with PRB, but liking my FRB, my ideal solution would be to keep the FRB as-is, but add a little bit of regen on throttle closed like the Dragonfly has. There are occasions when I find the EM a bit too free running. This is all on a '21 ePure Race BTW.

You are correct. 

In fact, I tried that exact approach.  I called it the hybrid design.  Have just added a photo to the write-up.  Here is a direct link: https://www.electricmotiontech.com/home/em-epure-race/regen-experiments#h.mz8dt9a6u3e

Edited by konrad

21 hours ago, konrad said:

You are correct. 

In fact, I tried that exact approach.  I called it the hybrid design.  Have just added a photo to the write-up.  Here is a direct link: https://www.electricmotiontech.com/home/em-epure-race/regen-experiments#h.mz8dt9a6u3e

Forgive my electrical ignorance (my skills don't go much beyond Ohm's Law and wiring a plug). I had always understood that the PRB would not work on some bikes (including mine) presumably because of a difference in the programming of the controller. From your wiring diagram it appears that it would work on any Race, just by fitting something that will deliver 0-5v to pin 15. Am I right?

Your description of your hybrid design went over my head too. I get the concept. I just can't see how to translate that into real life. Any chance of part descriptions, part numbers, etc?

The website is an outgrowth of my personal need for technical documentation.  In some spots the writing is pedantic, in others it's purposely vague.  Those skilled in the art will find sufficient information to conduct their own investigations.

There is definitely different firmware in the controller for different model years.  It would not surprise me to learn that there are multiple firmware versions within a model year or for different markets/countries.