2018 Montesa 4rt no start

Cookiemonster

Thanks

just having a quick look now, double checked the plug gap, all good, still no spark, smelt of fuel

scraped the inside of the plug cap with a small screw drive put back on 

kicked it over & it started maybe a coincidence 

ran for a bit then cut out

kicked it over again & it started so rode it round the garden for 5 minutes before it cut out again then won’t start

will undo the banjo on the injector to see if fuels flowing ok

slackened off the throttle cable a little but that hasn’t made a difference

tick over felt high once fan kicked in so will back off half a turn (from 3 1/2 turns out from fully in)

Start again on Sunday wish me luck!

• Like 1

That is good news at least you got a little run time. 

If it started after playing with the plug cap, maybe attempt to pull the cap off and check to make sure it has a good seat to the plug wire?  I wouldn't expect it to be an issue on a newer bike but I have had issues with them in the past so might just need to be twisted on a bit tighter to get a good connection? 

Otherwise check the ground wires/connections to the coil as they might be loose and playing with the plug cap/wire jiggled them?

Good luck. 

Well.....

just got some time to have another look, took HT lead off again gave it a little scrape with a screw drive again

put back on kicked over2nd kick so let it run for 15 minutes, turned it off & left it for 5 minutes

kicked it over started 1st time let it run again for 10 minutes turned it off & fitted my long range seat & number plate

kicked it over started 1st time so when for a10 minute ride on the road

came home turned it off & left it a while then every now & then kicked it over & all seems well....

all ive done is removed the BAS, slackened off the throttle cable, scraped the inside of the HT lead & its running

Check resistance on the coil & its 3.2 

still cant get the tachometer to work, can’t get the RPM to read the1 P: 1r or 1P : 2r or 2P:2r as per instructions

i am reading the MMright aren’t i?

FFE5362E-87A7-470D-A9DB-0D92A8799D6A.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Used tachometer earlier was ~ 1,450 rpm so increased it to 1,800 rpm which did feel & sound high so dropped it to a little over the bottom limit ~ 1,750 rpm 

still not starting from cold on 2nd kick as previously did but starting & running plus fan kicking it frequently

coolant at correct level

will continue to monitor it before getting out properly once it’s warmed up a bit 🥶🥶

thanks

It does not make enough current if is to low. Hence not starting. I set mine to start at 1850 and let it idle for a few minutes. I never take off until it stays between 1900 and 2050. 

Nothing worse than a 4rt when it starts running like crap. I bought my tach before the bike. It took me about 14 months until I installed mine. Now a believer. 1750 is too low, unless your tack is off.

Thanks lineaway will see what it’s like on Friday & up it to 1,850 rpm minimum as you recommend & go from there

still makes me wonder why my issue started in the 1st place

thinking on I had a workshop fit apico clutch plates along with headstock bearings & a couple of other jobs & I’m wondering if they may have lowered the idle rpm

cookiemonster 

• Like 2

Got bike out today & it kicked over from cold 2nd kick

took my time to get the kick starter to feel right if you know what I mean

upped the rpm to ~ 1850 & it does fluctuate a bit but guess that’s normal

so is the ecu that clever that it resets itself now the idle is within range? Making it start easier?

weather a lot warmer today in the UK may have helped

im just using the tach as & when I need it as I already have one bolted to the bike which I can’t get to go to 1P:2r

anyone have any ideas? Holding the button in to change from hours to rpm works but holding the button in until it gets to 1P:2r doesnt

thanks

2F42DF28-E0FF-4A58-AB83-4BA7BE1EC62E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Bikes starting as it should now on 2nd kick or sometimes 1st

Tacho reads ~ 1,450 rpm on start up then steadily creeps up to ~ 1,900 rpm before fan kicks in then drops to a steady 1,850 rpm

is that how it works for anyone else?

i know 4 strokes run hot & 4rt run at a high rpm but the fan is on almost constantly 

read before this is quite normal is this something I should be looking at?

thanks

My fan runs a lot on both my 4RT and my 300 RR, I was able to get it to run a little less by switching out for "Engine Ice High Performance Coolant" it seems to do a little better heat management than the stock Honda coolant in my experience but other than that the bikes seem to run fine and have never had a problem so figure its just the way they are. 

Example of what I have been using for reference.  (No affiliation:  https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/engine-ice-high-performance-coolant?sku_id=167223)