Plug colour and backfire when hot starting....

garydwall

Hello,  my bike runs great and is easily started when cold.... however it is very temperamental when up to temp.

Sometimes it will start second kick but quite often I might get a small backfire And then it takes alot of kicks and energy to finally get it to fire....

I have a photo from a few hours riding on a new plug, it would suggest to me the carb is a little rich... could this be my issue? If so what do people suggest adjusting...

Thanks in advance Gary20230219_075353.thumb.jpg.da8d93fcb9a8570a97e6d9fbf53669d5.jpg

OK thank you lineaway...

It's a 2009 txt pro. I have fully rebuilt the top and bottom end,  new reeds, carb cleaned,  pilot jet increased one size to see if that helps (it didnt), upgraded regulator and electrics from horse power ignition, just the ducati flywheel and pick up coil left, .... plug and pick up gap set at 0.6....

No throttle touched during starting as I find this makes it even harder to start...

I'm a bit blue in the face with it,  just can't seem to remedy the hot start issue....

Thank you

On 2/19/2023 at 10:39 AM, garydwall said:

OK thank you lineaway...

It's a 2009 txt pro. I have fully rebuilt the top and bottom end,  new reeds, carb cleaned,  pilot jet increased one size to see if that helps (it didnt), upgraded regulator and electrics from horse power ignition, just the ducati flywheel and pick up coil left, .... plug and pick up gap set at 0.6....

No throttle touched during starting as I find this makes it even harder to start...

I'm a bit blue in the face with it,  just can't seem to remedy the hot start issue....

Thank you

Having a bike like that can dfive you nuts. Next time it happens try removing the gas cap to see if it's a venting issue. Or if you are brave enough, lay it on the ground until fuel comes out the over flow. And see if that helps. Ps do that close to home or the pits in case it won"t start. 

I have a 2008 125 that my grandson rides. I am sure glad its an easy starter. Good luck.