Titanium front pipe for better cooling? Does it works?

luct4

About the only thing I have ever seen solid information on about improved scavenging and heat is ceramic coating of the inside of a header/pipe.  I know that different metals are different in how they handle heat but considering that most get titanium for weight I wouldn't be able to say much about scavenging and heat control. 

Good luck with what ever direction you end up going and if you do try a titanium header I would be very interested in the outcome. 

I suspect that the manufacturers (both of the original bike/pipe and the aftermarket pipe) could give you some performance improvement data for a titanium header, very technical in terms of heat transfer, scavenging, gas flow rates etc as above, but mostly significantly in a weight saving. There is an optimum running temperature for maximum performance so running cooler wouldn’t make sense, but running at a more consistent temperature would. So really you want the fan on more regularly with reduced variation in temperature in between switch on & switch off, therefore need more accurate thermostat & switching.
However, in reality all these minor changes will be for very small gains and I don’t believe most riders would notice unless they’re already towards the limit of performance of the bike. I suspect the biggest thing you’ll notice for definite is how much lighter your wallet is 😂, but as a result you may convince yourself that the new pipe is an improvement. 
Oh, and if you want to save the few grams weight, make sure you go for a pee before you start riding, empty your pockets of all the nonessential items, and leave your car keys back at the van ! 
How many riders buy fancy, expensive, lightweight, aftermarket parts to save a few grams here and there, than add an additional half litre fuel tank (that’s half a kilo !) to save calling back at the paddock area to refuel mid trial ? 
But hey if you’ve loads of cash swishing around and need something to spend it on, go ahead, fill you boots as they say.

Happy riding all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello to al off you,

thank you all for the replies to my question. I would like to buy a titanium front pipe. However, if it is only beautiful and has no added value to the cooling, then it will become a standard version. I'm going to remove all the restrictions except but will
not do te fuel mapping. With this mapping, the engine is awfully economical.

Greathings,

Luc

Historically the after market pipes are a bigger diameter than standard and soften off the bottom end and give more torque - and are marginally lighter 🤔 and look nice 👍 

On the 250 /260 engine would say  they are an improvement for clubman riders 

How much only you say 🤔👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jimmyl said:

Historically the after market pipes are a bigger diameter than standard and soften off the bottom end and give more torque - and are marginally lighter 🤔 and look nice 👍 

On the 250 /260 engine would say  they are an improvement for clubman riders 

How much only you say 🤔👍

I have a Ti Mitani front pipe on my 250 4RT and it's a thing of beauty and weighs a lot less than the Honda oem front pipe

I love the blue colour, it has turned and makes me happy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

Hi Luc, just interested in how you’re getting on with your new pipe cos I want to get rid of my standard pipe & 02 sensor. Mine is a 67 reg & was wondering how would removing the o2 sensor  affect the emissions for the mot

Hi Woody,

When installing the exhaust, the sensor was disconnected. Montesa Belgium installed the exhaust. Since they are the importer, 
he normally knows how to do it. The difference in driving is big. Much faster throttle response and much more torque at the bottom.
I haven't noticed any better cooling yet.

Greatings,
Luc