Bike for a Newbie

DJT1970

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice, as a total newbie looking for a bike preferably a 250cc due to size and weight what bikes would you recommend? 

What bikes should I stay clear off? I know this can be personal choice etc just looking for a starting point. Thanks david.

As I wrote in another thread about 2 days back:

Welcome :)  You'll find a mountain of info here, including an infinite range of opinions over what the best bike to start on is ... the one I always repeat is that the best bike to start on is a used modern shape 125, even if you're tall, even if you have lots of previous riding experience.  Use it for a bit and then sell it on when you know better what you want.  Modern shape 125s are easy to handle, have enough power to move you around but not so much as to get into trouble, they're good on fuel, and are easy to sell.  They're all much of a muchness, the condition of the bike is far more important than the brand or age.

Good luck in your search!

• Like 1

My only advice is if you don't like working on the bike much I would avoid older Gas Gas bikes (can't speak to new ones) the 08 Gas Gas 125 I had and my buddies 06 Gas Gas 280 always needed more work than our other bikes.  (07 Montesa 4RT, 06 Beta 80 Sr, 17 Montesa 300 RR)

Like the way the Gas Gas rides and feels, (125 & 280) was a great bike just always had some little thing I had to do with it to keep it n good shape more so than the others.  hope that helps. 

PS. Condition maters so a good shape Gas Gas would still be better than a beetup of other brands.

Edited by jonnyc21

I started years ago on an aircooled Beta. Never had to work so much on a bike. Replaced it with a low mileage Gasgas 200 and was pretty faultless,  maybe had a master cylinder failure.  Had for ages, a mate bought it.   Then used it well, and the problems started.

Big gap. I bought an 08 Beta and a 14 Gasgas about 8 months ago, it just happened that way.  Have had to do work on Beta, but only plastic repair on Gasgas.  

Now mine sounds like a beat up on Beta. (Just bought a new Beta dirtbike last year). 

Old bikes can be trouble.  Low mileage not so old bikes are a better bet. Spend a bit more now and less later.  Also all the controls will be easier to use,  suspension better.   

I haven't ridden many brands so I should shut up about now. . . But I do have this tablet in hand. . . I like my 9yr old GG better than my 16yr old Beta.  That's hardly a fair comparison.   But if I were starting out I think I'd do better on the Beta.  Again, the newer Evo models maybe different,  but if you must shop old that's my opinion of the 08, it's a great bike. Or was.

• Like 1

I'd say a Beta EVO of any year because the model has had a long run without major changes. Some might say this is a bad thing but it results in tons of knowledge and great parts availability. It's surprising how many parts from the years 2009 - 2022 are the same.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PAULIE said:

I'd say a Beta EVO of any year because the model has had a long run without major changes. Some might say this is a bad thing but it results in tons of knowledge and great parts availability. It's surprising how many parts from the years 2009 - 2022 are the same.

That same argument can be made for some other models, lol

I just responded to a similar thread with this comment: avoid the yellow & blue Sherco with rear tank from around 2013. Absolute piece of rubbish. Frames crack, steering stops don't so the frame tubes get crushed, various parts were made in the local handyman's back garage (or so it appears) ..... Just don't.