Complete newbie novice here looking for advice & guidance (North East based)

Codboy

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and also new to trials riding. In fact I'm yet to try it, hence why I'm here! I'm based in North Tyneside (near Newcastle upon Tyne) and I'm looking for some advice/guidance on how to get started, local clubs, tuition, bikes, gear etc. Been road riding for about 2 years now but would love to give trials a go. Anyone that could help point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! 

3 minutes ago, totty79 said:

Pop into Off Road Moto in Blyth and chat to the staff they'll help you out and will probably let you have a go on a couple of bikes.

Thanks mate,I'll look them up. 👍🏻

Second the above. Ring John on 01670 361080. Just up the road has great selection of gear and will talk you through everything you need to know while you browse(and spend) good trials scene in NE, plenty of venues suitable for new starters and quite often a practice day just turn up and ride where you will get lots of help and advice. Very friendly sport

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, timdog said:

Second the above. Ring John on 01670 361080. Just up the road has great selection of gear and will talk you through everything you need to know while you browse(and spend) good trials scene in NE, plenty of venues suitable for new starters and quite often a practice day just turn up and ride where you will get lots of help and advice. Very friendly sport

I found their page of Facebook and sent him a message. Thank for the help 👍🏻

It's worth doing an experience / basic training day to start off with, see if it's for you before buying stuff :) (it's an excellent experience even if not!)

When you de decide to look for gear and a bike, go for basic stuff to begin with until you know what you want.  I still ride with Mechanix work gloves, stretch jeans, ordinary t-shirt, second hand boots, and until I switched to using my old enduro helmet I was still using a cheap Spada trials helmet without issues ... technique is far more important than fancy gear, put time into learning from friendly people at your local club and just getting on the bike whenever you can.

If you take to it, it's excellent fun!

14 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

It's worth doing an experience / basic training day to start off with, see if it's for you before buying stuff :) (it's an excellent experience even if not!)

When you de decide to look for gear and a bike, go for basic stuff to begin with until you know what you want.  I still ride with Mechanix work gloves, stretch jeans, ordinary t-shirt, second hand boots, and until I switched to using my old enduro helmet I was still using a cheap Spada trials helmet without issues ... technique is far more important than fancy gear, put time into learning from friendly people at your local club and just getting on the bike whenever you can.

If you take to it, it's excellent fun!

Yeah,I've been looking at the experience days and I'm gonna try get one booked soon. Like you say, technique & time on the bike is more important than all the best gear! I was out on my bike yesterday and ended up practicing U turns in a Morrisons car park for an hour!

• Like 1

+1 for the experience day. That was my first initiation. For £100 or so you get hours of riding, someone to guide you and you don't even have to wash the bike when you've finished. If you decide trials is not for you (though I can't possibly imagine anyone thinking that!) you've had a fun day out.

+1 for the Mechanic gloves too. Just as good as the trendy brands and a quarter of the price.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

+1 for the experience day. That was my first initiation. For £100 or so you get hours of riding, someone to guide you and you don't even have to wash the bike when you've finished. If you decide trials is not for you (though I can't possibly imagine anyone thinking that!) you've had a fun day out.

+1 for the Mechanic gloves too. Just as good as the trendy brands and a quarter of the price.

Any recommendations on where to do an experience day? I've looked online and there's a few places doing them.