2010 TXT Pro 125 - exhaust repacking

TL_HiBoy

I recently acquired this bike and one of the things I would like to do is to repack the exhaust. I have read many posts on the topic and I think I have a pretty good handle on the process. The one thing I'm not 100% sure of is getting into it. Do I simply remove the end cap and fill from there, or does it get filled from the pipe side? Sorry if this seems basic.

Remove the end cap, usually 4 rivets. The centre baffle will then pull out. If using loose packing refit baffle and lightly stuff in packing around it. If using sheet, wrap the baffle first followed by a wrap of masking tape at each end and then reinstall it. You can also pack the end cap a little with loose packing. Remember the orientation of the baffle, the flaring on one end is usually slightly longer than the other. Cant remember if this goes towards the engine or end cap

Edited by faussy

19 hours ago, faussy said:

... Remember the orientation of the baffle, the flaring on one end is usually slightly longer than the other. Cant remember if this goes towards the engine or end cap

Or you have a flared end, some baffle, then a bit of pipe welded with snot to the rusty parts of the baffle that's not completely disintegrated ... or maybe that's just me ...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally collected the requisite parts and tools and popped off the end cap. Lots of dark oily packing in there. I tried to pull out the baffle but it wouldn't move. Nothing would budge. I lost my resolve and riveted the cap back on, but not before taking a few pics. From @faussy's description above I assumed the center baffle would simply come out. Did I miss a step? Or has a previous owner modded this in a non-traditional fashion? Or, is it just jammed in there too tight?

20230410_125846.jpg

20230410_125850.jpg

20230410_125853.jpg

20230410_125858.jpg

It should definitely pull out, although judging by how the silencer has previously been modified im not sure whats going on. Is that a sleeve thats been added, or the silencer extended a few inches? The cap should be straight on to the main silencer with no sleeve so to speak. Judging by the age of the packing its definitely worth doing. I cant think why the baffle wont come out other than being jammed in. They can get wedged in pretty tight sometimes. Did you pull it good with a pair of pliers?

The titanium colour part is the original exhaust, has an aluminium cover been put over the outside?

Edited by faussy

Yes, there is an added sleeve around the can. On the tire side there has been significant rubbing, which has now gone through this patch. It appears to be riveted and high temp siliconed on.

I tried pulling the baffle with vise grips after tearing up the rubber gloves I was wearing. There is some additional metal gauze-type material at the end.

Should I just start digging out that old stuff? All the videos I've watch show the whole thing just sliding out easily.

The metal gauze is standard, it comes from the factory with a wrap of that then the glassfibre. It looks like its been years since its seen the light of day, the packing could maybe be catching on where the tire had worn through the original 

I should add, rarely the baffle pulls straight out, usually the baffle and packing come out as one. Removing some excess packing would certainly help

Edited by faussy