1974 TY250A Help with Fork Setup

onefunride

I rebuilt my forks with the magical dampening rods, magical springs, and adjustable pre-load bolts. I added 167cc of 10 wt. fork oil. I set the adjuster at minimum 20mm, and the fork caps add approximately another 28mm of preload (around 48mm total). I weight 225 with gear on, this is the reason I felt a little more pre-load maybe ok. When cycling the fork with no spring and fork cap off there is a sucking sound of the oil, sounds like it is getting some air. Is this common? The dip length maybe different with the magical dampening rods as the length is different than the stock rod. Suggestions for fork oil amount? General suggestions?

Thank You

Glenn

22 hours ago, onefunride said:

I rebuilt my forks with the magical dampening rods, magical springs, and adjustable pre-load bolts. I added 167cc of 10 wt. fork oil. I set the adjuster at minimum 20mm, and the fork caps add approximately another 28mm of preload (around 48mm total). I weight 225 with gear on, this is the reason I felt a little more pre-load maybe ok. When cycling the fork with no spring and fork cap off there is a sucking sound of the oil, sounds like it is getting some air. Is this common? The dip length maybe different with the magical dampening rods as the length is different than the stock rod. Suggestions for fork oil amount? General suggestions?

Thank You

Glenn

If you want to be certain of having enough oil, set the oil quantity by level rather than volume. A base-line starting point is 125mm dip to the oil surface with the forks fully compressed metal-to-metal. At that point, extend the forks fully and look down and see if the top end of the damper rod is still covered by oil. If it is exposed, add enough oil to just cover the top end of the damper rod. Then compress the forks again and see what the dip to oil is. More than 110mm dip is enough air space.

I suspect that 48mm preload may be too much preload. I have the same forks, damper rods, oil weight and same springs and weigh 220lb dressed to ride and run about 32mm preload. My preload spacer is not the adjustable one from Magical Springs.

• Like 1