Husband and wife trying to get started

Trials4Wulf

Hi everyone!

So, my background is about 26 years of riding dirt and street, dirt just focused on trails, never motorcross, my dirt bikes were a XR200 and a KTM 300 (2 stroke).

I finally decided that with the type of riding I do (tight woods) I didn't need a big heavy bike and never sat down when riding anyway, so trials bikes started looking really appealing.

My little wife has never ridden a bike in her life, but is excited to learn. I wanted to get her started out on a something she can flatfoot on that's light. I was going to do a small XR100 size bike, but I think she could learn on a trials just as easily, but could also grow into it. I'm also thinking if I get myself a trials bike, she can learn on it, and if she dislikes it I haven't wasted money on getting her her own bike. If she likes it I'll get her her own bike.

I'm looking around for bikes, and wow used prices are ridiculous. I've seen people asking $6500 for a 2 year old bike, when it's new price is $5000, and the dealers have them in stock!

local (PNW USA) used bikes are slim pickings. And I'm really stretching the term local. I mean within about 150 mile radius. So far I've found:

2008 Sherco 290 for $4,000 (private party)

2018 Montesa 300RR for $6,000 (private party)

2022 Gas Gas TXT250 for $6,000 (small used dealer)

and a 2019 Beta EVO 125 factory edition for $6,000 (dealer)

So a few questions:

I'm about 200 lbs, the wife is about 150lbs. Am I right in thinking that anything over about 125 is fine? I'm happy with more power, but not sure I should care.

I'm inclined to lean towards 2 stroke, but not really bothered one way or another. Should I worry about 2 vs 4 stroke?

At those prices should I be buying new instead? If so, what should I be looking for?

Sorry for the long post!

Edited by Trials4Wulf

I agree with Lineaway.  My choice from those would be the Montesa. 

The 22 GG would be second in line for me. 

$5000 would be a steal for a new bike around here(Missouri).   The only brand selling new locally for less than $8k is Gas Gas.

I would recommend finding a local club and going out to talk to them.  Most trials riders are more than happy to let you ride their bike. That would be the best way to find which one you're most comfortable with.

Good luck in your search and welcome to "the most fun you can have at 1 MPH."

• Like 1

Best thing I ever did for my wife was get her a 125 to start on.  I also agree the Montesa if its in good shape would be a great option considering you have been on bigger bikes like a KTM 300.  If you can't find a good 125 for a nice price a Beta 80 with the larger 21" 18" wheels is a good option as well. 

Good luck.

FWIW a 125 will pull around someone who is about 200lbs ok for getting started, and they're easy to start off with.  I wouldn't recommend an 80cc bike for any adult bigger than a petite woman, and even then it might get a little frustrating quite quickly.  I found going from a 125 2 stroke to a 250 2 stroke didn't result in being able to do better / more, it just used more petrol (and had I had it from day 1 it would have got away from me in sections, the 125 was good for building confidence).

2 strokes are a little lighter than 4 strokes, so easier to pick up and drag about if your wife doesn't do weight training regularly.

• Like 2

Buy a 125 if you are going to share.  It is plenty for both of you.  If you like trials and want to stick at it buy yourself something else when you are ready.  The 125 has the power but needs a bit more revs to cope with a bigger rider.  If your wife has never ridden a motorbike then the bigger engine will be more of a challenge.

There does seem a shortage of reasonable priced secondhand bikes in the US.  Prices have gone up here as well but are starting to level out now.  I hope you find something that you both enjoy.

• Like 2

If your wife has never rode a dirt bike I would suggest you get her on something with a seat if even for an hour or two before forcing her to stand. Apparently it is really hard to learn clutch and balance at the same time. I'd buy, beg, borrrow or rent a 125 4 stroke  TRAIL bike for a day first, practice clutch and standing. I have seen people that can operate a motorcycle sitting down try a trials bike and fail more than miserably more than once. Once it was an expensive fail as well.

Edited by Glayne

Good points everyone. Thanks.

I completely skipped over the lack of a seat making learning challenging at first. I think the seat/tank would be a good help for that instead of having to get another bike.

In my experience of teaching people to ride, the ability to flatfoot and not having too much power available if they accidentally wring the throttle when panicked, make it much, much easier to learn.

I like the idea of a 125, as I doubt I'll need much more than that with my style of riding. Or, I wonder if there's a way to put a throttle limiter on a 300 until she gains confidence? Some sort of throttle stop?

1 minute ago, lineaway said:

I know of three husbands in our club that bought the wives Beta 80's. Two now ride electric bicycles and the third walks. Not everyone has the ability to ride a motorcycle.

She's excited about it, but I do have a legit concern that she won't enjoy it when she actually does it. Which is why since the used market is so crazy right now, I don't really want to buy her her own bike until I know she will like it.

A few years ago a person could buy a XR100 or equivalent for $1,000 or $1,200 and then turn around and sell it and get your money back. Those are a lot harder to find now. 

• Like 1

A cheap alternative for just trying motorbikes would be a "big wheel" pit bike, if those are easily found where you are (and easy to offload after) ... they're also good for just pootling about off road and lending to people, only downside is they're usually loud

On 4/28/2023 at 1:43 AM, turbofurball said:

A cheap alternative for just trying motorbikes would be a "big wheel" pit bike, if those are easily found where you are (and easy to offload after) ... they're also good for just pootling about off road and lending to people, only downside is they're usually loud

Electric start Yamaha TTR 125 would be much better than that.

Joe

• Like 1