Latest trials bikes by weight...

trevbul1

Just curious as to other people's thoughts.

I am fortunate in owning both a 2021 Gas Gas TXT 250 Racing and a 2018 Beta Evo 300 2T for friends to use. I am a 60-yr old rider with strength issues following a minor stroke.

To me, the Evo is very noticeably heavier tho' the internet puts the GG at 67kg and the Evo at 69kg. Although 2kg/ 4.4ibs is a considerable weight if you had to carry it around with you all day, to my mind the difference feels greater than that.

Plus, the Vertigo Titanium is listed at 66kg. All that extra money for less than 1kg? Your having a laugh.

So, is the difference I notice an illusion caused by frame geomentry and weight distribution or am I missing something? It is noticeable that for several manufacturers the posted weight for the same bike varies between different web pages.

What I would confirm is that I choose the GG over the Evo every time; it is far less tiring to ride - excepting for the fact that the Evo starts first kick every time and the GG takes 5 or 6 swings, which is exhausting and frustrating, especially when stalled at the bottom of a muddy climb.

Very interested in other people's opinions, thanks.

i have 2 betas a 125 rev 3 and 250 evo. The 125 feels like a bicycle to ride yet same weight. Allegedly it's reciprocal mass of piston that makes 250 feel heavier.250 prob has 16bhp. 125 about 12bhp.not a lot of difference.

2 hours ago, Mwl said:

i have 2 betas a 125 rev 3 and 250 evo. The 125 feels like a bicycle to ride yet same weight. Allegedly it's reciprocal mass of piston that makes 250 feel heavier.250 prob has 16bhp. 125 about 12bhp.not a lot of difference.

The main reason why the 250 handling feels heavier is the increased gyroscopic effect of the heavier crankshaft/flywheel assembly.

On 5/19/2023 at 5:14 AM, trevbul1 said:

Just curious as to other people's thoughts.

I am fortunate in owning both a 2021 Gas Gas TXT 250 Racing and a 2018 Beta Evo 300 2T for friends to use. I am a 60-yr old rider with strength issues following a minor stroke.

To me, the Evo is very noticeably heavier tho' the internet puts the GG at 67kg and the Evo at 69kg. Although 2kg/ 4.4ibs is a considerable weight if you had to carry it around with you all day, to my mind the difference feels greater than that.

Plus, the Vertigo Titanium is listed at 66kg. All that extra money for less than 1kg? Your having a laugh.

So, is the difference I notice an illusion caused by frame geomentry and weight distribution or am I missing something? It is noticeable that for several manufacturers the posted weight for the same bike varies between different web pages.

What I would confirm is that I choose the GG over the Evo every time; it is far less tiring to ride - excepting for the fact that the Evo starts first kick every time and the GG takes 5 or 6 swings, which is exhausting and frustrating, especially when stalled at the bottom of a muddy climb.

Very interested in other people's opinions, thanks.

The difference you are feeling is not an illusion. It is real and yes it is due to differences in geometry and mass distribution. The small differences in total mass between bikes are not a good guide to how a bike will feel to ride. People's bodies also have different geometry and mass distribution. Which bike feels best to each different person is why people should try before they buy. There is no single "best handling" or "lightest handling" modern trials bike for all riders.