WES Exhaust system - is it worth it?

diagnosis

Hi.  I have been eyeing the WES exhaust systems, both the single unit to replace the stock silencer,  the two piece mid section with separate silencer, or just the silencer 

I was wondering the benefits of the different systems, and other than being much lighter, are there differences internally from the OEM muffler? Does the replacement muffler noticeably quiet the system down?  Is a new exhaust required as well to fit the new system?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I’ve seen a lot of them fitted to TY’s but was wondering if they really made a big difference  

TIA!  🍻 

7 hours ago, diagnosis said:

Hi.  I have been eyeing the WES exhaust systems, both the single unit to replace the stock silencer,  the two piece mid section with separate silencer, or just the silencer 

I was wondering the benefits of the different systems, and other than being much lighter, are there differences internally from the OEM muffler? Does the replacement muffler noticeably quiet the system down?  Is a new exhaust required as well to fit the new system?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I’ve seen a lot of them fitted to TY’s but was wondering if they really made a big difference  

TIA!  🍻 

Sounds like you are asking about the WES TY175 systems.

If you have a standard front section and replace the end muffler of the competition model TY175 (525) exhaust with a WES end muffler, the exhaust note will be a lot quieter and will no longer sound raspy, irritating and machine-gunnish.

If your TY175 end muffler is the type fitted to the TY175 and TY125 that had to meet strict noise limits for road use (TY175JE and TY175JC and TY125), the WES end muffler will make it slightly more noisy.

The one piece WES TY175 system is slightly more noisy than the WES two piece TY175 system. Both would be considered acceptable at a competition event as far as noise level goes.

Yes the WES systems are different internally to the original designs and in my experience, enhance engine performance compared to the standard exhaust. The biggest bang-for-the-buck for performance and noise reduction comes from fitting a WES end muffler.

Replacing the main section with a WES provides a good bang-for-the-buck handling improvement (weight reduction).

Be warned that if you are planning to use a WES exhaust system and ride your TY175 at sustained high speed, you are at risk of the exhaust system catching on fire. They are intended for use in trials competition.

• Like 2

I fitted a Wes silencer on my Ty125 when I was a teenager in the late 80's. It made a massive difference exactly as feet up fun describes. A better sound and more trials specific power. The ty125 silencer was very restrictive with a tiny bore on the outside. It really transformed my little bike and I loved it !!!

Sorry for the late reply, and I really appreciate the detailed response!  I never even thought it may be an issue of the exhaust catching fire with extended rides, and seeing as I'm considering plating my TY for short trips around town, that would not be ideal.  Quieting it down a little may be more beneficial with just adding the silencer section, as opposed to a full exhaust. 

My current setup has what I believe feetupfun has described, is the 'competition' rear section, the round muffler with the removable, repackable, domed tip. It is very raspy, and is the reason I was asking about replacing it with a WES system, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of options other than that.

For reference, I have a Wes single piece and it's very loud.  Since I'm mostly using the bike for trail riding I'll be adding a little pitbike silencer with silicone adapter to take the edge off without affecting the back pressure (I also have concerns about it not having an effective spark arrester which that would solve) ... the long term plan is still to convert it to electric but I have too many projects on the go for that at the moment 😕

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

For reference, I have a Wes single piece and it's very loud.  Since I'm mostly using the bike for trail riding I'll be adding a little pitbike silencer with silicone adapter to take the edge off without affecting the back pressure (I also have concerns about it not having an effective spark arrester which that would solve) ... the long term plan is still to convert it to electric but I have too many projects on the go for that at the moment 😕

I suspect that the single piece WES design may have been improved at some point in time regarding how noisy it is, because mine does not sound like how you have described yours.

I bought mine maybe three years ago through TYoffroad

• Like 1