Oy Rappers!

kinell

boofont Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM

Thats a load of B*****ks Adsy, what kind of statement is that!!

No its not bo**ocks, the Scottish is a serious International Trial, & I'm sorry if you disagree, but if a rider struggles to get round the course, never mind the sections, then I'm sorry but they should'nt be in the event. I'm not saying that all riders should be experts, I'm no expert, but surely common sense should tell a rider if they are up to it? :angry:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boofont Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM

Thats a load of B*****ks Adsy, what kind of statement is that!!

No its not bo**ocks, the Scottish is a serious International Trial, & I'm sorry if you disagree, but if a rider struggles to get round the course, never mind the sections, then I'm sorry but they should'nt be in the event. I'm not saying that all riders should be experts, I'm no expert, but surely common sense should tell a rider if they are up to it? ;)

lets not forget something here, the majority of the entry in the scottish is made up of clubmen and yes some of them do struggle their way round pushing,pulling and getting stuck in the bottomless bogs but lets be honest here who hasn't struggled at some point on the way round the scottish.Thats the beauty of it everybody has a chance to get an entry regardless of their ability, so why try to make it elitest. ;)

I may be simplifying this but I don't think at any stage anyone was suggesting that clubmen should not enter or attempt to ride.

What the overiding principle should be is that if there is not a complete ballot (clearly not) then the manipulation of the entries should include some serious consideration to encourage newcomers as much as those that have supported it in the past when times were lean and entries easy to get. Now I don't know about Geoff Broker and whether he should be in (every year ) or out, how well he rides or not but if he is no great crowd draw why shouldn't he make way one year so someone else can have a go.

If the ballot, isn't, then the qualification should be transparent so everyone gets their chance, or knows why not.IMHO ;)

Just to throw a spanner in the works, there's 48 first-timers riding this year...

That must be a fix .........so many first timers ;);)

Suppose people will be moaning there is too many of them now :lol:

You know HL, you need to do the job properly, and then you wouldn't get all this moaning. After all you don't have a proper job and you get paid vast amounts of money from the club to this, you enjoy sitting in a little office in the Ben Nevis Hotel till 11pm sorting the results, all for the enjoyment of somone else :D:D

Buck your ideas up lass, people are watching and taking notes :D:P

• 3 weeks later...

I rode my first scottish in 2002, along with a close friend who had been entered by his brother in law (incidently his brother in law has had a podium result in the ssdt).

This lad had been riding a trials bike for only six months, and was a real wobbler (to be fair). He rode all the course, attempted all the sections, got up witches burn, cleaned cameron hill etc, helped numerous riders on his way (including rubbing a chain link away with a rock, to split a chain on one of his riding companions bikes, who had given up all hope of untangling his chain). He lost about 20 minutes on time, on thursday and his early day.

He finished in the last ten, but got a bigger cheer than the winner when he went up to collect his award!!

He professed never to do the event again, but he got round fair and square!!!

Out of all of the "Mont" riders entered that year - the question each day on the Parc Ferme was "Would Pea Head return?" - Fair play to him - he did (and as Boyd stated helped others along the way). It was a great achievement and one of the moments when you realise that our sport isn't always about the top few - (although don't get me wrong of course they are important), but this was a lad how had a. bought his bike, b. financed his trip to SSDT and his accomodation c. set himself a goal. He jumped in the Loch at the finish (not recommended as it was VERY cold) as a celebration. Something no doubt he will tell his Grandkids about !! And yes - we did cheer !

• 2 weeks later...