Drumbrake Tuning

1985tlr

Fore the ones who dont know this.

The perfect trick to improve your drumbrakes, is a trick i used on my old montesas 20 years ago.

Now i am a TLR driver, i tryed again and it stil works.

Before i tell you how to do this, i have to warn you, try your improved brakes carrefuly, ore you get stuck under the bike.

Oke here it is:

Clean your brakepads with sandpaper, then get some retarder (you call it that way i believe)at your local paintshop.

Put the retarder on the brakepads, when its dry in about half a day, again clean them with sandpaper, but just a litle bit, not too much.

Now let them completly dry en get hard fore about a day ore so.

You dont need a diskbrake conversion anymore.

Better do this only on the front brake, fore the rear brake its to uncontrolable.

Let me know your experience with this dutch trick.

Edited by 1985tlr

I am not sure if you call it retarder, but its the second component of 2k car paint.

So not the paint but the stuf that make the paint hard.

Maby someone knows the right name of it?

I am sure you will be surpriced of the effect of it.

Good luck.

The second component in 2 pack paint is the HARDENER this is what activates the paint to make it dry,You can usually get it in three different grades i.e fast,medium and slow drying i would suggest you get the fast drying one to put on your brakes as the others will take ages to dry some heat will also make it dry a lot quicker.The way to get some is go and ask in any car body repair garage :angry:

Fore the ones who dont know this.

The perfect trick to improve your drumbrakes, is a trick i used on my old montesas 20 years ago.

Now i am a TLR driver, i tryed again and it stil works.

Before i tell you how to do this, i have to warn you, try your improved brakes carrefuly, ore you get stuck under the bike.

Oke here it is:

Clean your brakepads with sandpaper, then get some retarder (you call it that way i believe)at your local paintshop.

Put the retarder on the brakepads, when its dry in about half a day, again clean them with sandpaper, but just a litle bit, not too much.

Now let them completly dry en get hard fore about a day ore so.

You dont need a diskbrake conversion anymore.

Better do this only on the front brake, fore the rear brake its to uncontrolable.

Let me know your experience with this dutch trick.

Do you have to do this once does it last untill the shoes wear out :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

OK,so I tried it,and it certainly improved my brakes riding around my back yard - no stoppies,but it did stop! That's gotta be an improvment.Unfortunatly our trial was cancelled when the stream rose a metre from rain.

Have tryed the traetment on the front drum, left it to cure for four days. Rode it in our last club trail and it is still very good. Have sine picked up a 4rt and I thick the tlr has a better front brake, time will tell

Miked

• 13 years later...

If this product works SO well (You mentioned not to use on the rear brake or it would be uncontrollable). . .  Perhaps you could do the 'treatment' to only 50% of the surface of the brake pad?. . .  Or 30%? etc. . . ..  Find the "happy balance"?