Any Bright Sparks Out There?

portman

I wonder if any lads out there can comment or help?

I have recently purchased a used 2005 model Sherco 290. Finding it very difficult (but not impossible) to start I checked on the spark to find that there isn

Just a little bit of info, I've got a 2005 290 too, and the mark on the crankcase is there, it's VERY VERY faint, but it does exist, it's at the top and it's a kinda arrow but as I said, it took me a good 10 minutes to find it.

Strength of spark

Have you set up the stator coil laminations to be as close as possible to the flywheel magnets without touching?

Timing sanity check

Why dont you make your own marks so you can use a timing light? Just set the piston at TDC and make a pair of matching marks in a convenient place. With your strobe you can then measure the advance. You will know if the timing is somewhere right if the distance between the marks (around the flywheel) is something like 20 to 25mm at low RPM.

My 04 290 had a pathetic spark too,and I was concerned about too,but it started within 6 kicks cold,1st kick hot.Mine got worse if I didn't clean the idle jet and passages frequently.Iwonder if the choke mecanism doesn't get them rich enough to start them in this presently very cold weather.On the gasgas forum they talk of drilling out the choke jet to help this,might make a difference,its the same carb.Has yours got standard carb jets,with the mixture screw about 3 turns out,don't think its an electrical fault after fitting all those new bits

OK back to basics

The timing & carb are irrelavent

You should have a good spark whatever.

We replaced my Bros with a leonelli & had similar results it would start but not enough voltage to run the fan.

It turned out to be a short on the loom.

Strip it all out check everything with a meter.

Ensure is connected properly.

Then no spark means no good generator!

Hello guys and thanks for the replies so far.

As crashmctavish says back to basics, providing the timing isn't way out it should not affect the spark and no spark = duff generator?

However I do not need to strip out the wiring loom - I have already effectively done that by only using the wires from the stator and leading to the coil/cdi unit.

Feetupfun - I know what you mean but the coils are fixed onto the stator and appear unadjustable.

Andy_290 - I haven't been able to check (again!) but is the mark on the painted part of the crankcase, adjacent to where the transfer ports are?

I have also been given www.uk-motoplat.com as a useful source of info and I see that they have some readings for the Sherco trigger so I know what I'll be doing this evening!!!

Portman

Firstly,if you have a flywheel with a hole in,i find that strange.I am sure that these where stopped on the 04 models(my bike doesnt have one).The timing mark is behind the plastic cover on the edge of the casing.Its very tiny,you will have to mark it with a marker pen to make it more visible.

I recently bought a used 04 290.I had exactly the same problems as you

describe.It was a real pig to start hot or cold,weak spark and all that,and the main problem is it wouldnt run for more than 20mins.This told me that the stator was shot(have you got this problem?).I replaced it.Now the bike starts 4th time from cold and starts 1st time when hot ,although its still not running spot on.(see my posts recently).I have changed coil/cdi etc like yourself,but i uused a donor bike.To be rerfectly honest,the spark doesnt seem as good as it should(compared to my gasser)

I`ve managed to help starting by by increasing pilot to a 35 and richning the mixture.I know you shouldnt realy have to do this but it has definatly helped starting,along with the replacement stator.)

Edited by gasgasssser

Andy_290 - I haven't been able to check (again!) but is the mark on the painted part of the crankcase, adjacent to where the transfer ports are?

Hi Portman,

Here's a link to the pictoral guide from the Sherco website, I found my mark on the crankcase in the place as determined in the photos on the guide.

Hope this helps,

Andy

http://www.shercousa.com/pdfs/sherco_ignit...ement_03-04.pdf

Edited by Andy_290

:) I have to agree the spark is all but not there. I just pickup an 05 and when going through it fround that spark plug cap need the screw on insulator on the plug. The bikes plug did not have it on. So down to get a new plug, it started on the second kick but there is not much ther in the way of a brite spark. Only time will tell if I will need help, but for now it is running great.

Well out I when today for a ride, cold the bike started up on the third kick, but after riding for a bit I had a very hard time getting the bike to light up, and it look like it must be me. My two friend could get the bike to start in one or two kicks, now I have to get it to start for me like that. Unless I can keep them around all the time, just like the pros. (not)!!!!!