Sherco To Gas Gas

sir dabs alot

How many of you have switched from Sherco to Gas Gas?

What are your experiences?

The reason I ask is that a friend let me ride his 300 Pro and it was great!

The steering, motor and handling in general seemed perfect.

Anything negative to look out for?

Thanks!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be sure it does not chew you up and spit you over the side of something!

They are very quick and very powerful! Work best for an advanced rider!

Build quality and maintenance are only an issue for those who care!

To each his own, I have ridden them all and probably like my '05 Sherco 2.5 best so far. Although I will say that the 200 pro is a very nice bike.

One fellow here got off the 300 pro in favor of the new and milder 280 stating that the prefers it because of the milder power being not such a "handful" of torque!

You asked!

Cheers,

MC

After 4 shercos I've just changed to GG (with a 4RT in the middle). These are my points:

- Lightness & manouvrability: GG wins

- Suspension: GG wins so far

- Engine response: Sherco better at low, GG better at high

- Clutch: Sherco wins

- Reliability & maintenance: both are the same dog.

A little dissapointed with the fourstroke venture, this year I decided go back to 2S. Naturally inclined to Sherco, after applying the above points, I dismissed the sherco '06 for its low capacity fuel tank, its Leonelli ignition, the ugly (to my likes) rear mudguard and the hitting between tripleclamps and the new chassis. Sherco bikes were the most logical bikes until '03-'04. From that year I feel that its quality has dropped some notchs, and GG has gained the lost realiability in '02 and also joined better components than Sherco (

I have a few outings on my 06-300, the clutch is not an issue, pull and engagement is fine so far, very light and quick (have to be aware of the throttle on a steep hill)and the engine pulls Cleanly from idle (no cleanout required.

i had a GG for about 6 yr's and they run good but need alot of maintaining to ride at there best and do fall apart very easily.... and the sherco is not too different apart from build quality is better... and as for the shock the standard shock on the sherco is just as good as the ohlins.. maybe not as much adjustment though

Edited by jonesy

However when you have a frame snap, both bottom brackets snap, middle box needing to get welded every other week, clutchs packing up, gears going bang with a little tap, tanks leaking...  which would you prefer then a bike that finishes a trial and not too much maintanace or the GG which you are unsure whether or not it is going to finish..???

Absolute Bull....frames dont snap only frame ive seen snapped is on world indoor site and who rides like that , theres already a discussion going on about that...only the 03 clutch was prone to going this guy is talking about a 06 bike why would it pack up until about 5 or 6 years ? Gears are fine...tanks dont leak ...dont know where that came from but the sherco one is plastic..Too be honest i would prefer my gas gas and tell you now it does finish.

jonesy u dont have a clue!standard olle shock as good as an ohlins.dont think so bud!you cant even adjust the damping on a olle,plus my friends new sherco,the barrel has just been replaced after 2 trials as it was oval&the shock fell apart at the bottom!

jonesy u dont have a clue!standard olle shock as good as an ohlins.dont think so bud!you cant even adjust the damping on a olle,plus my friends new sherco,the barrel has just been replaced after 2 trials as it was oval&the shock fell apart at the bottom!

To be fair, he did say that the adjustment wasn't as good. Maybe you don't need it - I haven't.

This is sort of in danger of turning in to one of those my mates bike arguments, where everybody makes decisions based on the few local experiences they may have had.

You are bound to get problems with every manufacturer from time to time. I had one of the worst Gassers ever (a bad 02 Pro). I now have one of the best Sherco's ever (a great 04).

Doing last years Novogar, my 04 Sherco with 18 stone on it was consistantly far more reliable than my oppo's 05 Gasser with 12 stone on it, including strangely two broken suspension units on the Gasser. This again is just isolated local experience.

Everybody who wants a horror story about one bike or another can find one.

Gasser tanks leaking - sometimes - seen a few - also saw someone use the wrong length screw and pearce the alloy (no names). Was this the case in all of them, probably not. Wiggy's making a plastic tank - maybe that's the way?

Sherco main bearings - not seen any problems at all locally, but the rumours are strong enough to believe that maybe there's no smoke without fire. Or is there?

Gasser clutch - mine disintegrated twice, they don't quite seem as rugged as the Sherco, maybe???

Gasser water pump??? Hmmm...could well have been down to my half speed fan so maybe rule it out.

Gasser barrel rechrome - Maybe some **** got it? The airboxes used to be poor - better now?

Sherco weak electrics/timing??? Thought that was Beta but a few stories knocking about recently, so maybe there is a problem?

Got to take everything with a pinch of salt. Anybody who says one bike is massively better than another is probably talking ****e :) and you may not find out without owning one and seeing how it suits you.

From that year I feel that its quality has dropped some notchs, and GG has gained the lost realiability in '02 and also joined better components than Sherco (
Edited by AtomAnt