03 Vs 04 Any Difference?

marky g

I know where your coming from Marky Boy, I would be planning on keeping the bike for a long while seeing as I would be pushing the boat out on the cash.

But I guess if it all went tits up :huh: & I had to sell, I would get more for an 04 than an 03.

As for the discount thing I'm a bit stuck there because I'm putting my Sherco in as P/X

I bought an 03 Racing, slow throttle, heavy flywheel off a bloke what just got a new 04 set up the same way. He says that the 04 idles better and has much faster pickup. I noticed that his sounds different. It has more of a pop. Sounds like the engine is higher proformance. I like the gray frame from the 03 better.

Cheers for that dfwilson, has the guy with the 04 done the mods himself or has the bike come like that?........I know nothing about the SY250 other than that it's got a great Yamaha engine in it.

I must admit thats the main reason for me wanting one...a good bullet proof motor.

Is the airbox waterproof??

The 04 comes with the new and improved ignition system. It was supposed to come with a flat skid plate but I think, at the last moment, it was changed so it is now an option. I have a flat skid plate and it is very nice. I think that the air box is water tight. Any way I haven't noticed any water or mud getting in. I like the bike very much. That statement though comes from a rank novice. I rode a used Monty and a Beta several years ago and those were the only ones from which I can draw a comparrison. The fenders attach with nylon screws. That has saved me from buying a new rear mud guard several times now. I like the tapered bars (no cross piece). All in all the bike is very nice to ride.

Cheers for the info Enrico, I spoke to my dealer mate today and got some more info on the SY, he told that infact the bike in question is an 04!! (I feel a bit of a **** posting my first comments :huh::( ) The bike was sold just after xmas, but the guy who bought it, received a major back injury just after he had it & has had to pack in riding.

The bike was preped up but, never even ridden, so hence as new.

Looking forward to my new toy :o

Be sure to get the CF waterpump guard for yours before you take it out in the rocks; I sliced my hose right at the inlet during my first event on it. I still LOVE the bike, just wish that the pump guard (which protects that portion of the hose as well), heat shields and flat skid plate came on it stock... I'll also be thrilled when my seat/tank combo FINALLY gets here on the slow boat! :huh: I've got some serious trail riding to do when it does.

Cheers guys, from what I can gather the bike is fully sorted, I'm sure I was told it's been fitted with a water pump cover already :D

If it hasn't, it will be the first thing on my list before I ride it in anger, thanks again guys.

mark