Club Membership

jetset

I am wanting to go and watch some trials and then join a club where I can have a go. How does it work when you join a club? Do people join a club and then it enables them to ride in other clubs events or are they restricted to the club where they are a member? Do people join a a few different clubs if there is more than one in there area?

I live in North Yorkshire but close to West Yorkshire and also Lancashire so have Yeadon-Guiseley, Horsforth, Bradford and Lancashire within travelling distance so not sure what to do?

I think there are afew people on this forum from the Skipton area if they could advise, or anyone for that matter.

Whilst writing is there anything on over the Easter weekend to go and watch in this kind of area, have checked out some websites but can't find much.

Cheers

As far as i am aware you must join a club to be able to apply for a competition license( you need this to compete)

Once you have your comp license i think you can compete in other clubs trials, just pay the entry fee

It may be different for you but in scotland that seems to be the way it goes

Generaly speaking ACU wise it works like this.

You join a club and you can then ride at their events if trials are Closed to Club level. The club membership also then entitles you to ride at other Clubs events in the same center at Restricted to Centre or Open to Center events. You can also ride at National Events.

Once you have joined a Club the ACU require you have a Competition License which is obtained by sending the ACU an application for Competition License form signed by a club, of which you are a member, official. The license lasts for a year renewable Jan 1st. You can then enter events organised by other clubs in your center status as above.

If you wish to ride "out of center" then unless it's a National you will have to join a Club in the center that you then wish to ride in.

Your Competition License is valid anywhere in the UK.

Hope that make some kind of sense?

Most clubs have a day license facility where you can ride the first time while your application form is in the post so to speak. Some clubs turn a blind eye but there can be serious problems if you have an accident of injure somebody else as you wont be covered by the event insurance.

AMCA clubs are a bit different. You dont "NEED" a license but entry fees are cheeper for license holders. Plus i think if you are a member of one AMCA club you can ride in other AMCA clubs events.

Just talk to the Club secretary of the club you fancy. Get the address from the ACU website where you can also download License application forms.

Good luck and enjoy your trials. The above sounds a lot worse than it actually is and you only do the license thing once.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Thanks, I understand apart from two things

1, What the closed to club level, open centre, out of centre etc? and all the other strange classes? This is the very confusing part of the different clubs I have looked at??!!

2, What is the difference between ACU and AMCU? Why is their not one governing body?

hi jetset,

I live in long preston and there are a couple more local clubs bradford, lancs county.... loads if you look! there are a couple of trials on this weekend on friday there is a lancs county trial at caton near lancaster and on sunday there is a west leeds trial at halton gill what is only about 8 miles from stainforth!

hope this helps!

Most Clubs will allow you to join "on the day" but will insist on you filling in the ACU form. You will need a Passport sized photo, the Club stamp and the club secretary will need to sign the form to say you are a member of that club before sending the ACU Form off. Once you have registered then you can join other clubs for their "Closed to Club" trials and use the original club for Centre, restricted etc trials in your area. As beta 270 says West Leeds are holding a Trial at Halton Gill near Kilnsey on Sunday and Richmond have a "Dads and Lads" at Iron Banks on Monday(Next nearest is at Barnsley on Sunday). All Clubs put their events in Trials And Motocross News, a lot post on this website. Most have their own Websites and Link to other clubs.

www.yeadon-guiseleytrials.co.uk

www.westleeds.co.uk

www.richmondmotorclub.com

Edited by Telecat

Thanks for all the info, it is alot clearer now. I am sure when I have been to a few i will get to know what all the different categories, event types etc are. It appears I am very lucky in that there are many clubs in my area so will have a good choice of events to go and watch and also take part in when I get my bike rebuild finished.