New Tyre Not Seating Right?

joandemma

Had my dry old turned tyre from the garage to about 85-90 before it finally popped in to the bead the other day. I don't want you to do yourself an injury, so, I'll just say you should have absolutely no concern over taking a new tyre to at least 70 pounds. I do absolutely every time.

I wasn't too worried about 85 pounds in my old tyre, as there were no obvious splits.

There's always the exception I suppose, so queue the horror story from someone.....but wouldn't have thought so with a new tyre.

Make sure you get the washing up liquid in while the tyre is deflated, so it gets where it needs to do the work. Run your hand round the rim if you need to to make sure.

Spare a thought for the "enthusiast" in a few years time if you use Washing up liquid to fit tires, it is fine to start with but as you scratch through the anodising (if it has any..) the salt in the washing up liquid (lots) will start to corrode the aluminium, it`s worse with tubed rims than with tubless

because of the different materials used, (bimetallic corrosion) which is then accelerated by the salt/damp making an electrolyte. by their nature Trials bikes change tires often so suffer tire levers more than most.

it doesnt happen overnight, so dont fret, but check out a bike that a few years old and consider whether that white powder under the rim tape is realy old talcum powder, or your rim rotting. it a one way process.

alternatives are proper tire "soap" (scrounged from nearest tire fitter) WD40 or similar, "personal lubricant" available from Anne Summers i`m informed..

Swarfega type products are worse than washing up liquid as they contain even more salt.

Also, if any one is still reading after the chemistry lesson, on the subject of blowing tires up enough to seat properly, if.. you use a proper tire fitting lubricant there should be no need for sky high pressures to seat the tire, i know they can be awkward but if you are going much more than 50/55 psi there is something wrong, and what can it be? you have got a bigger rim than everyone else? or have you landed on a 400x 17 1/2 Michelin X1 by mistake?

probably not...

Also, as i replied to someone else about leaky rims, i know it sounds awfull, but on tubless tires/rims if you are having trouble with air leaking between the the rim edge and the tire due to corrosion or hamfisted tire lever use tearing the soft inner tire seal, dry the tire and rim and apply clear sillicone sealant to the tire and rim, it`s an excellent lubricant and is easy to remove when it sets.

Well Moleman, I need to be around you next tire I do. I swear I have used every lubricant you mentioned and some you did not, have not tried the KY warming personal lubricant yet but that was because bagger hid it.

Anyway, if you can get a modern tubeless tire to seat bead at 50psi, I am impressed and as I am not too far south of Missouri, I can just say "show me"

You in the US? Be at the WR?

Sometimes I scare myself, so I bought one of those fancy tire beaders and made up a 10 ft extension hose with a clip on air chuck and a pressure regulator at the end that I control with one hand while holding a beer in the other after getting it seated!

Money well spent! Never fails with a bit of silecon spray lube and some guts! :)

Just changed a tubed front that seated with car washing soap at around 40psi and the tubeless rear after messing around for about an hour with no luck decided too get a ratchet strap around the circumferance(sp?) of the tire and then that one also popped on at around 30-40psi (this was a pair of michelins by the way)

Barry

I just changed the rear on my bike and never took it past 30psi.

I had problems getting the bead to seat but a wee bit of WD and a ratchet strap rite round the middle of the tyre did the job oh and a lot of patience..

I had problems getting the bead to seat but a wee bit of WD and a ratchet strap rite round the middle of the tyre did the job oh and a lot of patience..

don't you guys use the YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE beaders?

don't you guys use the YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE beaders?

At

If it does blow whats the worst thats gonna happen?

I've popped bike tyres before and usually it just pushes off the rim, a huge bulge appears and then that blows, giving you a fright and a cool draught.

If you were really scared with a tubed tyre you could fill it with water and then blow it up to the max and beyond?? :P:thumbup:

Bob

I fitted a michelin x11 to the back of the TY and it took FOUR of us to wrestle that thing on! (At first we were like "No *beeeeep* way! It HAS to be the wrong tire! But sure enough after about 30 mins of fighting it it finally went on. Then came the most annoying part.. It wouldn't sit corretly on the bead in just one spot and the rest was fine (this after taking it to about 50 psi). I have very low patience (A.D.D. :thumbup: ) and after about an hour of inflating, deflating, spinning the tire, inflating, deflating etc.. I put a LOT of polaris clutch lube oil (like WD40 I'm sure) around the bead when it was deflated and put some air into that sucker. (at this point I had zero patience since it was already a couple hours of just fighting it) soooo I pushed it up to 80 psi and it popped right onto the bead and I was at rest!

Or at least I thought I was... I brought it down to 15 psi and it came back off the bead in the one low spot that was giving me trouble originally. I pumped it back up to 70 this time and it came onto the bead. I left 40 psi in it over night to get it to stay that way. After all the lubricant evaporated (I'm guessing) it stayed on the bead. I just put the new michelin on the front today and it was WAY less hassel. I had to put in about 50-60 psi for it to pop out too (I used soapy water). All in all, I think I should have just brough the rim and tire to the local shop and asked my friend who works there to do it for me beacuse this drove me almost insane. :P

What I learned after this experience (which was my first bike tire one) is that you have to leave in a fair ammount of air in the tire over night so it can set up (or at least in my situation that was the only thing that seemed to work). I wouldn't be too afraid of that tire popping at like 70psi, but above that I start to cringe and GET READY! I have tubes in my tires. (I've never changed a tubeless tire except for a car).. Sorry for the rant, it just drove me crazy for a really long time and it feels great to vent about it! haha, good luck with your tire!! :wall:

The X11 can be tricky. If I could offer some advice? Put a tube in it for at least 24 hours before fitting, this will push the beads apart and make them sit easier when inflating for the first time. Look st a new X11 and see how close the beads are to each other.

Got to go with Dabster though. The beaders may seem expensive but they make fitting tyres a doddle. It's not that much cash when you spread it over the years.

You could also try a cycle tube?

Edited by boofont