Gear Box Sounds Slightly Scary.....

uhoh7

Forgive my ignorance...

I have been riding my 06 300 pro a couple of times a week. Never had a gasgas before.

It's running well here at 6000ft. I notice the gears have a sound all their own. 1-3 sound normal; 4th has a nice wrrrrrrrr, then the shift from 4th to fifth has quite a clunk even with the clutch in. Shifting at higher RPM gives a more elabaoate clunk. 5-6 both sound fine and the shift seems fine.

Is this sort of normal?

WHat about that clunk going into 5th. What is the best shift technique to take it easy on the transmission? I'm starting to think I should shift into 5th at as low rpm as possible.

TY sirs

hey

i've had my 05 pro for almost a year now and i've asked the same question about a million times, and i've talked to all the champ class riders who ride the pros, and thay all say the same things, its a gasgas they make noises, and they all clunk into 5th

its all good

I've been trying to find a happy rpm to shift into 5th, I think it may be best at lower rpm. The huge gap in gear ratio doesn't help the situation, for both the clunk or for trail riding. I think the standard model's gearbox makes it a better choice for trail work. The price we pay for having 4 low gears to choose from, and to save some weight I guess.

thanks guys...a relief...

I suspected this was the case---"they all do it"

Now here is another question:

on the SSDT site I was ready the "get your GG ready thing" where it says something like:

"you will have to use the choke for roadwork"

is this to save the motor?

That's what I was wondering.

Since I will be riding on trails quite a bit, what are the best tactics to avoid siezing?

low or higher rpm?

should I use the choke on the trail at all?

That's what I was wondering.

Since I will be riding on trails quite a bit, what are the best tactics to avoid siezing?

low or higher rpm?

should I use the choke on the trail at all?

One of the big no-no's is holding the throttle on a steady rev. Keep rolling off and feeding it back in again...