No Stopping Us Now!

angusmcbigpants

MY BROTHER AND ME BOTH OWN 2003 SY250 RACING'S AND SEEM TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM."BRAKES" THEY ARE RUBBISH, THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN THAT GOOD FROM DAY ONE BUT NOW THEY SEEM WORSE THAN EVER. WE HAVE TRIED EVERY THING, TOTAL STRIRP DOWN FROM FRONT TO REAR REPLACING THE LOT TO NO AVAIL. IS THIS A COMMON FAULT OR JUST BAD LUCK? :wacko: CAN ANYTHING BE DONE OR IS THERE ANY SORT OF UPGRADE THAT CAN BUT BOLTED STRIAGHT ON? NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE. CHEERS :D ANGUS.....

the brakes are pretty standard with AJP calipers/master cylinders etc. and braking discs. I think there is an improved disc on the front of the 06 models, but there is'nt too much wrong with the originals. What exactly are your brakes doing or not doing that is causing you problems?

I had a 2002 and now have a 2005 SY and the brakes on both have always been spot on.

The only niggle I have is how quickly the small rear pads wear out.

My lads Beta suddenly lost it's efficiency over night. Explained when he told me he had sprayed WD40 all over the bike to stop it going rusty... including the brake discs.

I cleaned the disc with brake de-greaser from Halfords and fitted new pads. Problem cured.

I've had Sherco's, Beat ups, and Scorpa's and the Scorps brakes have always been spot on. What are you washing the bikes with - WD40? Might pay to get a Pro to look at them. Sounds like it may be something you boys are doing not the bike!

Good luck with it.

WE NEVER GO ANYWHERE NEAR OUR BIKES WITH WD40 I HAD THAT PROBLEM A FEW YEARS AGO WITH MY GASSER (ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY) THE PROBLEM WE HAVE IS THE BRAKES ARE WORKING BUT NO WHERE NEAR AS THEY SHOULD. THE CALIPERS HAVE BEEN STRIPED DOWNAND CLEANED BUT THEY WERE FINE ANYWAY, DISC'S CLEANED, NEW FLUID AND THEN PRESSER BLED THEN NEW PADS FITTED. CAN'T DO MUCH ELSE OR CAN I? :D

Change the discs? What pads you using? I use Apico. I find it a bit strange that two bikes have all the calipers not working? That's four brakes, weird. Maybe one but not four.

If you take the caliper off and remove the pads do the pistons come out together at the same rate?

What about the discs? Are they mounted the right way for the direction of wheel rotation?

Hi A,

Like all the other Scorpa riders replys I too have never had a problem with there braking.

Have just had a friend fitted new wheel bearings to his GG and put a touch of grease on the calipers which when the brakes got hot contaminated the disk and disc pads.

No amount of cleaning gave him back the braking power the bike had prior to the contamination.

Had to end up fitting new disc and disc pads.

If you were to fit a new disc it may be worth checking out the larger 06 disc if only for more disc pad surface area should give long pad life.

I have just fitted a pair of new BRAKING "cookie cutter" discs to my 04 SY and after an hour of mediocre braking whilst bedding in, i then nearly chucked mi'sen over the bars doing a stoppie!!! ....cool! :D:wacko:

P.S if i ever get anything on my discs other than brake pads(!) or mud i just give em a wipe with carb clean and that seems to do the trick!!

Why anyone is using grease when changing bearings is beyond me? The bearings are sealed so you don't need grease there. The only bit of grease I use is to help the axle go back in. What I do to make like easy is to remove the front caliper. It's only two bolts and it's way easier to fit that on to the wheel than to get the wheel and disc in to postion with it fitted.