Pinky Twinshock Conversion

andy m

Bo Drinker, If you wanna do it go for it (physics and mechanics allowing).

Reckon it's more important to have a bit of fun than get caught up in the rules and regulations thing.

Agree entirely that we all ride for the enjoyment of it and if these sort of bikes are accepted at club level then no problem. But when it comes to competing in a championship for a specific type of machine, car or bike or whatever, then there have to be some rules governing eligibilty, otherwise there is no point in having a championship for said type of machine is there?. So can I take my 4RT, put twinshocks on it and ride in the Eastern Thumpers 4 stroke only trial at the end of the year, or the Talmag, as it is the latest evolution of a 4 banger.

With reference to the Scorpa 4 stroke, I can't see any problem with them competing in air-cooled mono class. It is an air cooled mono.... I think they are a cracking little bike but can't see they have any significant advantage over older air cooled monos. But the problem is this. It's all very well to say we only ride for fun, but people are naturally competitive wether they admit it or not, some more so than others and if they don't win their class, even at an insignificant club event, they will look for something to blame rather than admit they were simply beaten by someone better. In the case of the 4 stroke Scorpa they will blame that as it is more modern and say it gives the rider an unfair advantage. But if anyone is riding one who doesn't win, then they won't pay them any attention or moan about them.

I agree with Woody - starting with an original twin shock and modifying it is rather different to starting with a mono and modifying it to be a twin shock.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a 'Cotswolds' - does anyone have any photos of this bike?

:thumbup: Its a NEW twinshock using Jialing Honda clone engine built in small number in Gloucestershire, hence Cotswold. They have been spoke about on here before. Sorry I dont know how to point you in direction to read info etc. Have a trawl about you will find it, or maybe someone not as thick as me can point you in the right direction. Thanks

I agree with Woody - starting with an original twin shock and modifying it is rather different to starting with a mono and modifying it to be a twin shock.

i also agree with woody, start with a old ty twin shock replace old wheels-forks-swing arm for ty mono items , have not got time nor money to trick up old motor so use ty mono motor.

wow a really trick original , reliable , non acu twin shock rule breaking ,in the sprit , TWIN SHOCK

PS. PITLEY STOP LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

:thumbup: Thanks Mike, Ill be trying a standard pinky out the t*****r has bought and decide from there, as mine is 270cc and a bit sharp for a ***t rider like myself. PS hows the Hereford/cotswold/TY/ coming on. YOU KNOW YOU WILL BE FROWNED UPON BY CERTAIN PEOPLE. Its not the way it left the factory, blah blah blah acu blah blah

Hfd/Cots going slowly at the mo, now thinking of putting two mono units on the back to see the reaction!!!

The hardest person to beat is the person riding at your own level, on your own bike.....

i also agree with woody, start with a old ty twin shock replace old wheels-forks-swing arm for ty mono items , have not got time nor money to trick up old motor so use ty mono motor.

wow a really trick original , reliable , non acu twin shock rule breaking ,in the sprit , TWIN SHOCK

PS. PITLEY STOP LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

You've got me laughing too now - TY Mono engine.... must be a fault with it then as 6th gear is missing and it seems to have changed shape..... B) Have a ride on it on Sunday and you can see how trick it isn't

I'm with Darwin....Things evolve!

no argument with that - wasn't it twinshocks that evolved into monos........

woody, what i was sayin was i would fit a ty mono engine , but on the other hand a rev3 motor looks more promising.

if you want to keep twin shock pure ,keep the bikes pure and keep the sections to a standard where you dont have butt clenching drops, up your own butt turns, and butt breaking rocks, and steps , or the twin shock class nationals class will go the same way as the pre 75 class , only ridden regulary by 2 or 3 riders on very trick and i know very wallet breaking machines . the other problem with the classic series is that the clerks of the course have to accomodate a very good class of over 40 on modern machines ,may be now a second easier route for pre 75 and twin shocks , still hard enough to take 1 or 2 marks off the winner but but not so hard that other riders go home thinking sod that not doing another one of those.

just returned from belgium classic ,fantastic sections ,four routes per section ,long ,long sections .

ACU PLEASE NOTE GO TO BELGIUM AND FIND OUT HOW ITS DONE PROPERLY

• Like 1

Thought you meant mine had a Mono engine..... :thumbup:

Without a doubt, the series needs 2 routes now. I'm happy with the severity of the sections at the moment and don't think there is anything that is too hard. Nothing I wouldn't try on my Ossa for example, but with the increasing numbers of modern and aircooled mono bikes at the events, how long will it stay like that. It has now become an over 40 modern bike and aircooled mono championship with twinshocks and Pre65 in support. Sections may begin to be set specifically for those classes. It's supposed to be a Classic championship. At the last round there were 5 Pre65 and 8 twinshock entries - and that was too easy as it was a sidecar trial.

2 routes would open the series back up to a much wider range of riding abilities, hard route as it is now with an easier second route and the entries could swell again. Easier route for Pre75 British and Pre75 twinshock 'support' class, harder route is the championship route for twinshocks and Pre75 specials (as the people who ride them would probably find the easier route not enough of a challenge) Twinshock hard route can be ridden on a Pre75 twinshock if the rider wishes for the same reason. Over 40 and aircooled mono could have their own route and class in the Novogar series. God knows where converted monos fit in.

As regards 'pure' twinshock, you can't define it. People were swapping and modifying allsorts at the time, not just now. I rode a Majesty this year as after 15 years of riding my Ossa which is by far the oldest bike in the twinshock class, I wanted to be a bit more competitive against the newer twinshocks. Although the Yam is a far better bike, I actually miss riding the Ossa so will probably rebuild it and ride it again next year - if we still have a series...

Quick question for Bo Drinker - Your personal details have a Seeley as one of your bikes. Why not ride that in the twinshock class instead of converting a mono

:thumbup: Hi, the Seeley is virtually mint. An ex show bike one of the last built. When I have sorted my riding out as I am a novice I may ride it. It is too nice to ride really as Pitley pointed out to me recently.

Can't disagree with that. Break anything on one of those and you can't just have a new one delivered in the post the next day. I'm the same with my MK1 Ossa - or will be if I ever get it back together

Just an idea, in the Acu classic series, two routes a must, and 3 classes, pre75, twinshock, air cooled mono. In so dropping the twinshocks out from the brit bike miller series. leave that series brit only thus keeping them happy.. With two routes, and three classes the event will still be worth putting on for the organiser. 040+ 050 mono riders compete in normal nationals or get a bike to suit the 3 classes in the classic series.. Just an observation from from a rider and organiser. :thumbup:

Edited by pitley

woody if you restricted the classic nationals to just pre65 and twin shock ,do you think the clubs would really be interested in only running a trial for 13 riders and a few on the non championship route,dont think so.

my second point which seems to have slipped your memory is that the air cooled mono's are now around 20 years old ,it seems to me you just want your own little classic series all for yourself, riding bikes that only you are happy with and any mod you do is alright ,well woody it aint all about you, i ride the aircooled classic national class because it suits my ability and i can have a good bit of fun with the other riders, return home un-injured and go to work the next day, which for your information pays for my next weekends trials.

so please get out more, enjoy yourself and get a life!!!

P.S try cider it might help :thumbup:

woody in your own little world anyone who disagres with you talks B*****ks, hardly suspries me by your limited responce, its your view and your view only, totally unable to take on board anyone else's reasons

for building some thing different , instead you talk about putting a 4rt with twin shocks on, and entering it in a pre-65 event, you totally talk B*****ks.

love and kisses , pailoli

Dont quite see why you had to respond to Woodie in the way you have Paioli. Seems rather immature. Oh well whatever.

If the pre requisite is that Twinshocks by definition must have two shock absorbers and Mono shocks have by definition one shock absorber. What if i replace the single shock on the mono with two smaller shock absorbers mounted side by side? Why bother fitting them from frame to swing arm just continue to use the benefit of the rising rate linkage ?

Should clean up just need to have a word and find two smaller shocks and mount them where the original was :thumbup:

Much cheeper and better than those uncompetitive old Fantics and Majestys eh B)

Edited by Old trials fanatic