Pinky Twinshock Conversion

andy m

Just an idea, in the Acu classic series, two routes a must, and 3 classes, pre75, twinshock, air cooled mono. In so dropping the twinshocks out from the brit bike miller series. leave that series brit only thus keeping them happy.. With two routes, and three classes the event will still be worth putting on for the organiser. 040+ 050 mono riders compete in normal nationals or get a bike to suit the 3 classes in the classic series.. Just an observation from from a rider and organiser. :blink:

Sounds like you need to get to the ACU Trials forums, and if you cant drop an e mail or letter as they will be considered. Last year I proposed that the novogar have an over 40 class which was done as a try out I guess so suggestions are taaken on board. Think the over 50 at the classic rounds was a result of that forum as well.

get your voices heard the forum is the place.

Just an idea, in the Acu classic series, two routes a must, and 3 classes, pre75, twinshock, air cooled mono. In so dropping the twinshocks out from the brit bike miller series. leave that series brit only thus keeping them happy.. With two routes, and three classes the event will still be worth putting on for the organiser. 040+ 050 mono riders compete in normal nationals or get a bike to suit the 3 classes in the classic series.. Just an observation from from a rider and organiser. :blink:

Couple of questions - Of the 2 routes which classes ride which routes? Do you mean Pre75 as it is now which is for Pre75 British, or Pre 75 anything?

Example. Experts. Pre75 Brit, Twinshock, Air Cooled mono. Hard Route.

Clubman. Pre75 Brit, Twinshock, Air Cooled mono. Easier Route.

Most of the current rounds are road based(proper trials), and there are a lot of rders out there who have less ability but still want a full days sport not 4 laps of the rabbit patch!

Isnt it about time we had a Classic Chat forum instead of useing the bike related forums?

I think we have enough events and series to cater for a classic forum, and we may be able to get results earlier than waiting for the comic to appear on fridays!!

What do you think folks?

Edited by pitley

I agree and it's what I've been saying - 2 routes with classes for all on each route. Main preference is for t/s and Pre65, as it used to be, but I've no wish to kick out the air cooled monos really. If any class had to go due to number of entrants increasing it has to be the modern bikes as the over 40/50 championship could run with the novogar on 2 routes. There is no shortage of trials for modern bikes after all.

I asked our centre ACU rep to raise this 2 or 3 years ago but nothing has come of it so far.

Not sure about stopping the t/s class in the Miller rounds though. I think they encouraged them initially due to the decreasing number of Pre65 entries, so had to add other classes to make the trials viable, otherwise the entry would be too small. What about people who have now aquired bikes to ride alongside their mates as well. Same as those who have done that in the Classic series with air cooled monos. Once a class has been introduced it's difficult to withdraw it when people have bought bikes on the strength of a series.

Remember the miller round at rhayader in june, it seemed to me in the results all the brit specials had jumped ship and entered the unit class. I see the problem with numbers, its every organisers worry.

Have you any Allscott Results? We got us a forum now so folk dont have to look too far for results :blink:

Edited by pitley

I agree and it's what I've been saying - 2 routes with classes for all on each route. Main preference is for t/s and Pre65, as it used to be, but I've no wish to kick out the air cooled monos really. If any class had to go due to number of entrants increasing it has to be the modern bikes as the over 40/50 championship could run with the novogar on 2 routes. There is no shortage of trials for modern bikes after all.

I asked our centre ACU rep to raise this 2 or 3 years ago but nothing has come of it so far.

Not sure about stopping the t/s class in the Miller rounds though. I think they encouraged them initially due to the decreasing number of Pre65 entries, so had to add other classes to make the trials viable, otherwise the entry would be too small. What about people who have now aquired bikes to ride alongside their mates as well. Same as those who have done that in the Classic series with air cooled monos. Once a class has been introduced it's difficult to withdraw it when people have bought bikes on the strength of a series.

you can go to the forum yourself woody, no need to get someone else there

I know it's open to anyone but I'm not around that weekend so can't go anyway. I didn't word it very well but what I meant was, the subject of 2 routes was proposed before but not taken up. I guess that as the Classic rounds are well supported, no-one sees any reason to change them. The entries are high enough for most of them, it is just that the bias is now towards the monos and moderns, but I guess that isn't really an issue for the organisers who just want a healthy entry to make the event worthwhile staging and aren't worried which classes make up the bulk of the entry.

Haven't heard any results from Sunday's round yet but Phil Wiffen said he finished on 7 (300 Fantic) which was one hell of a ride and well done to him. Interested to see now whether anyone has bettered it as I'd guess that score will push the winners of the monos and moderns as well. Not one of my better days, very good trial and enjoyed it but too hot, sun-stroke and knackered from the trial the day before, too p*ssed the night before and generally too unfit anyway. Could cope with all that when I was 20 but not now. Went over the bars twice for no apparent reason other than to entertain anyone watching....

You dont need two routes...just scrap the over 40/50 modern bike class.

The last classic round I rode in was at Torridge. I had riden the event half a dozen times before and it has always been well supported and a tough, but rideable event. I reckon that on my previous attempts at the trial where only twinshocks/pre 65s were catered for, I dropped around 40-50 marks and usually ended up around the middle of the pack.

Missed riding the event for a few years, then tried again the year before last. Same faces as before entered, similar number of riders....but hold on where have all the old bikes gone, everyones out on their modern bikes....I ride my heart out on the SWM, drop 120 marks and get in the points!!

I considered riding the trial again this year....first thought though was take the Beta and save myself a load of grief. However, if you run the trial for twinshocks and pre65's only, I'm certain the entry level would not drop too much, they would just drag out their old bikes....which in essence was the successful formula that worked fine a few years ago.

Leave it as it is at the moment, and my prediction is that there will be Classic rounds in a couple of years time with no twinshocks!

You dont need two routes...just scrap the over 40/50 modern bike class.

The last classic round I rode in was at Torridge. I had riden the event half a dozen times before and it has always been well supported and a tough, but rideable event. I reckon that on my previous attempts at the trial where only twinshocks/pre 65s were catered for, I dropped around 40-50 marks and usually ended up around the middle of the pack.

Missed riding the event for a few years, then tried again the year before last. Same faces as before entered, similar number of riders....but hold on where have all the old bikes gone, everyones out on their modern bikes....I ride my heart out on the SWM, drop 120 marks and get in the points!!

I considered riding the trial again this year....first thought though was take the Beta and save myself a load of grief. However, if you run the trial for twinshocks and pre65's only, I'm certain the entry level would not drop too much, they would just drag out their old bikes....which in essence was the successful formula that worked fine a few years ago.

Leave it as it is at the moment, and my prediction is that there will be Classic rounds in a couple of years time with no twinshocks!

You and woody really need to put pen to paper or e mail the ACU they will and do listen.

I can understand the desire to get shot of the over 40/50 but that is what kept the classics going when the t/s entries were low. I can remember not too many years ago the series dying on its feet a round up in scarborough and another cancelled.

Never having entered that event i am frankly amazed that there are entries on modern bikes no matter what age the riders are.

This is EXACTLY what i have been on about to club officials locally but they dont listen.

As soon as you allow entries on bikes other than the ones that the event was created for the sections ALWAYS get tougher. We cant have so and so winning on less than 10 marks !!! YES WE BLOODY WELL CAN SOD HIM. What about the rest of the entry.

There are plenty of trials for modern bikes and air cooled monos belong with twinshocks at best but not Pre 65.

You can't trust the organisers that they will NOT alter the severity of the sections once modern bikes are allowed even on a guest no award basis. The sections always get unduely tough and that deters the pre65 bikes from turning out.

Nothings changed since the 70's when the monos first came out.

So back to the original posting and thats why converted monos should NEVER ever be allowed to enter as twinshocks. :blink:

• Like 1

:o Thats a fair comment. So I will convert the Pinky back to 250 and spruce it up a bit. But until then I will ride my other aircooled mono as it left the factory, unmolested still with the mono etc. A Scorpa TYS 125...... Its aircooled and its mono. Thankyou. :blink: Im not out for any medals so who cares!!!! Edited by bo drinker

• 6 months later...

I never did convert the Pinky to twinshock, sold it and am happy with my Scorpa. But waiting at a section on Sunday I spotted a TY 250 mono converted to twinshock, and to help disguise the fact it had older style tank stickers on. The rider has been mentioned here before. And looking at the results he did very well on his "twinshock" . :thumbup:

• Like 1

To really put the cat amongst the pigeons...........

Golner Honda came out as a monoshock was originally a twinshock till Golner modified and sold it.

- if owner converts it to twinshock would you have him hung drawn and castrated...................

If someone does convert a converted twinshock back to twinshock please send me the mono bits as spares...