Trialsworld Magazine - Subscribe Only

jack_h

subscribe to TW  

54 members have voted

1. 1. if trials world magazine was to return to subscribers only who here would subscribe

• yes definately
    • maybe
    • no

after being suggested in another topic who here would subscribe to trials world if it was to come back for subscribers only. what I mean is that you would subscribe to it - they print copies for each of the subscribers and therefore would not loose money and would be able to keep running

Ive voted yes but I dont think it will be that simple.

I think they maybe didnt sell enough copies to cover the non printing costs rather than they were just losing money by printing copies they didnt sell. They need to cover such costs as staff, attendance at events including travel, access to printing facilities etc. This will require a minimum number of copies to be sold and maybe they werent selling enough.

still it would be nice to be wrong !!

You forget that TrialsWorld was (allegedly) never intended to exist longer than a few issues and was (allegedly) wound up as soon as it became clear that the opposition were crushed. It wasn't even very good in my opinion and leaving all other issues aside, it deserved to die.

I'm less than convinced of the economic practicalities of producing a high-quality, low-circulation monthly publication although it seems to work for some mags - VMX springs to mind. I still think that the TBM boys would've (and still could) do a much better job.

I shan't rant on this subject again. Promise. Maybe.

Ive voted yes but I dont think it will be that simple.

I think they maybe didnt sell enough copies to cover the non printing costs rather than they were just losing money by printing copies they didnt sell. They need to cover such costs as staff, attendance at events including travel, access to printing facilities etc. This will require a minimum number of copies to be sold and maybe they werent selling enough.

still it would be nice to be wrong !!

you say about getting their reporters to events but wouln't they already have t+mx reporters there

You forget that TrialsWorld was (allegedly) never intended to exist longer than a few issues and was (allegedly) wound up as soon as it became clear that the opposition were crushed. It wasn't even very good in my opinion and leaving all other issues aside, it deserved to die.

I'm less than convinced of the economic practicalities of producing a high-quality, low-circulation monthly publication although it seems to work for some mags - VMX springs to mind. I still think that the TBM boys would've (and still could) do a much better job.

Actually (I have a good source for this) it was meant to carry on not just a spoiler. It was good IMHO and many others, and was a perfect companion to TMX allowing in depth proper articles which TMX doesn't seem to have the time/resources for.

I believe that the basic fact was it couldn't be sustained due to the top management wanting a bigger subscription take up. Ibelieve the figures were 4k plus so be sure to tell TMX when the responses here get to 5k...............

Actually (I have a good source for this) it was meant to carry on not just a spoiler. It was good IMHO and many others, and was a perfect companion to TMX allowing in depth proper articles which TMX doesn't seem to have the time/resources for.

I believe that the basic fact was it couldn't be sustained due to the top management wanting a bigger subscription take up. Ibelieve the figures were 4k plus so be sure to tell TMX when the responses here get to 5k...............

In some ways it was a good mag as far as full blown reports on trial events et al go.but and this is the big but it was never in a million years going to provide actual tests and /or comparisons in the same way that Si Melber and his motley crew over at TBM towers manage to do!! which i believe is one of the main reasons why most people buy "mags" of this type in the first place!!.

Whilst some people would say that a test of a bike is purely subjective, i had an XR280 and a 400 Husaberg which i bought virtually on the back of TBM recommendations and on both occasions they were spot on in what they said and both bikes were great!

Anyway thats my two-penneth fer what its worth. :blink:

OK I lied about not commenting again but this isn't a rant and I want to put my previous comments in this thread (and elsewhere) into context:

Nigel, your sources may be more reliable than mine. Seriously, without naming names (which would obviously be wholly inappropriate), it's impossible to know for sure whether TW's potential future was based on subscription take-up or something else. That aside, does anyone else find it odd that no-one from TMX has posted on here with an official statement on why the magazine was wound up? I'm emphatically NOT suggesting that there was some ulterior motive behind it, just that I know some of the TMX people read these forums and for such a long-waited-for publication to suddenly cease without explaination being posted on one of the UK's primary sources for trials news and information seems strange. I wasn't a subscriber so I don't know if any explaination or refund was offered by other means... set me straight anyone?

I know it seems that I'm constantly having a go at TW whenever the subject comes up and I realise that the people who actually produced the magazine probably had little, if any, influence over the commercial decisions that were made but having been a long-term TBM subscriber and always admired their "tell it like it is" attitude and the depth of their product reviews and other features, I was really looking forward to seeing what YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE would turn out like. Their 5-bike trials shootout (which appeared in TBM) was brilliant and suggested that the UK trials community would finally have a high-quality publication to be proud of. When (for whatever reason), TM was abandoned as an independent publication (although it still exists as a supplement at the back of TBM) and TW appeared it was a disappointment when compared to the promise shown by TM. Same old style of reviews and a distinct lack of depth to the articles. I can see how if you'd never read TBM you'd not appreciate the difference in style and editorial approach and I'd agree that "something's better than nothing" but I still believe that the sport of trials was denied an independent viewpoint with few vested interests and a track record of not watering down opinions to avoid offending advertisers.

The actual quality of TW is obviously still a matter of personal opinion of course but I recommend picking up a few back issues of TBM to see what could have been. In an ideal world, BOTH mags would be on the market and the public would be able to make their own choice. Unfortunately, business concerns wouldn't allow that.

P.S. Where did the symbol next to the words "YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE" come from? I didn't type it! Is there a TC ghost editor? :blink:

Edited by neonsurge