Couple Of Old Ssdt Pics

slapshot 3

amusing myself now really, following posts my three favourite from the Scottish over the last 20 years or so

First one, Steve Saunders first year at Fantic. This bike was a knackered practice bike rebuilt at the Sunday Weigh in as "confusion with the factory" TMX quote, meant his new one didn't turn up. Sammy miller ended up painting the numberplates about ten minutes before the weigh in closed. Sections are the top two at Achlain Farm ( for newbies it up near Creag Lundie), great group, but disappeared from the trial in the early 90's I think

post-20-1116932950.jpg

Last one for now, Doug, either second or third Scottish win, sure it was the Hat Trick but can't remember the numbers, the programmes are yet another box....... Ben Nevis, last section on the Saturday, horrible section only two cleans, even Colley had a dab, only one of the Ludgate boys(Sam i think) and Doug cleaned it the whole day.

Good pics, are the first two from 87' when Tarres won on the TR34 ?

I think they are but not 100% sure, suspicion they are from the year before when he had his police problem in the Fort for allegedly getting around town too fast (Diplomacy or what!!), if this is the same year then yeah he would have done, because the zero came out the following year??? Really not sure

dy

Sammy miller ended up painting the numberplates about ten minutes before the weigh in closed.

As I said, heres the evidence, don't think some of the Fantic boys were overly happy at the attention being taken away from Thierry Michaud that afternoon, but put Steve and Sammy together us brits wouldn't be too interested in a three (?) time world champion :lol:

Edited by Slapshot 3

• 2 years later...

The first two pics are definately 87, Saunders was on the Rothmans Honda in 86, my first year. In 87 I was right at the back of the entry list number 290, Les caught me up a few times. Apparently he went down to John boys I think on the tuesday before hand to try the Beta with a view to moving on to it after Scotland. He liked it so much he rode it in Scotland, his Dad thought it was a little rash to change bikes that late.

Dougie is on a 1995 Techno so guess that will be 95, his second win.

The first two pics are definately 87, Saunders was on the Rothmans Honda in 86, my first year. In 87 I was right at the back of the entry list number 290, Les caught me up a few times. Apparently he went down to John boys I think on the tuesday before hand to try the Beta with a view to moving on to it after Scotland. He liked it so much he rode it in Scotland, his Dad thought it was a little rash to change bikes that late.

Dougie is on a 1995 Techno so guess that will be 95, his second win.

Yeah I know, I was in work when I posted that and just couldn't remember the year, hectic time hits you on the drive home

I remember he had ridden a trial we were at the week or two weeks before still on a TY if I remember, and yeah Jockspent the whole week saying he was mad. His results said otherwise, cracking rider always was.

He He... Old Saunders and nothaving a factory bike due to 'confusion at the factory' ..... You could almost believe that Fantic bought Saunders to keep him from winning the World Champs. He ought to have won that!

Anybody got any more recent pictures of the other Saunders 'confusion' when he 'mistakenly' rode a 250cc or larger Gas Gas that just happened to have 200 plastics on it?

I think perhaps that was just cheating :) and not a mix up at GG ..... can't remember what happened but I dont believe he actually collected the small capacity award... I wasn't in the SSDT that year, but I saw a pic in the TMX and thought... Hmm thats not a little 'un.... must think the regular punters are morons or something! :)