Anybody Had A Rear Wheel Rebuilt On A Ty250 Mono?

old trials fanatic

Came to fit a new rear tyre to the pinky today. When i finally got the knackered tyre off found that the rim was very badly corroded. Outwardly it looks perfect but around the rim locks the alloy has corroded and just flaked off. Got it back to bare metal but the rim is probably only half the thickness that it should be in that area. Bugger and twice bugger ;)

So two options

1. get a good second hand wheel. Doubtful as i have a spare wheel and that is just as bad plus the last mono i had also had the same problem although not as bad as this one.

2. get the hub rebuilt onto a new rim.

I think as i intend to keep the bike long term having the wheel rebuilt is the best way to go but i have heard stories about the spokes being unobtainable. So anybody had a wheel rebuilt? Who did it? How much?

Only other alternative i can think of is to fit a hub off something else. If so has anybody fitted a different wheel with sucess?

Would appreciate any helpful suggestions :)

Edited by Old trials fanatic

I bought my pinky a few months back and it had the r wheel rebuilt last year. I dont know who did it, but the spokes were available then. Ellastone breakers in TMX have broken some monos imported from Japan probably. If they were, most of them have not done a lot of hard trials work. :)

It is either the front or the rear, not both, that are no longer available from Yamaha, but I can't remember which now. The available ones can still be ordered from Yamaha, I got some last year. For the unobtainable ones, you're relying on any dealers that may still have some on the shelf so it is a case of ringing around. Birkett's were going to have some remade as they had some monos to rebuild for customers that needed spokes so may be worth trying there. I asked Central Wheel if they could make me some but they can't.

If your spokes are ok and just dull you can get them and the nipples replated and use them again, I did this with mine and they look new. Or just buff them up and reuse them.

Don't know what it is with those DID tims but they seem to corrode far more easily than the old Akronts fitted to Ossa, Bults etc. The Hondas seem worse than the Yams too, especially the Jap imports, many of which have been standing unused for a long time so any water inside the tyre causes the rot.

OTF, One possibility is to have the wheel rebuilt using a Talon hub. I don't know if they are still available though.

I had a TY Mono a few years ago with a Talon rear hub and although not original, it didn't look unusual.

Just a thought, perhaps Talon might stock original type spokes? They make hubs for the supermoto lads.

mmm wheel rebuilds expensive!

what i did to my ty rear wheel is

1 scrape away all the crud around the wheel

2 cut the old inner tube to fit around the old freshly scraped rim

3 gaffa tape the old inner tube so it will not move

4 purchase a can of goop - puncture prevention goo

5 fit new inner tube over old one

6 fit tyre over inner tubes

7 squirt goop into inner tube

8 inflate and ride

9 the goop guys say it will last for 50,000 without a punture

i did mine a few months ago and havent looked back.

granted most things i do on motorbikes is on a budget

but hey if it works - it works

oh! and i trial quite hard - jumps and crashes etc.....

good luck anyway whatever you do

the most important thing is get the wheel back on the bike

lie to your boss about dentist etc

and get out there :)