History Of 1975 World Round In Ri

shercomike

I'm working with the Rhode Island Trials Club to put on a vintage trial in Exeter, RI on September 16. The club has run several Nationals and World Rounds at this facility. We are trying to promote the vintage event by playing up the link with the 1975 World Round that was held at this site. Prior to 1975 it was called the European Championship. Then they added a round in Canada and the US and started calling it the World Championship.

Here are the results:

World Round July 20, 1975

Stepping Stone Ranch, Escoheag, R.I.

1. Malcolm Rathmell (Montesa) 54

2. Yrjo Vesterinen (Bultaco) 58

3. Manuel Soler (Bultaco) 64

4. Ulf Karlsson (Montesa) 64

5. Charles Coutard (Bultaco) 66

6. Martin Lampkin (Bultaco) 66

7. Benny Sellman (Montesa) 68

8. David Thorpe (Bultaco) 68

9. Lane Leavitt (Bultaco) 70

10. Mick Andrews (Yamaha) 72

The loop was 22 miles.

I haven't been able to find any information or photos from the event. Does anybody out there have anything tucked away in the garage, or does anybody have suggestions of other places to try? I'd like to make some displays for the event. It's a long shot, I know.

Thanks

Mike Green

(Sherco 290 & Miller-framed Bultaco Model 49)

Edited by shercomike

Mike, I have one picture from this event and what a good event it was! The club did an outstanding job putting it together and pioneered a lot of the skills that would be required to make world championship trials possible in USA.

One innovative idea was the running of the trial on the roads. The organizers hired off duty police officers to direct traffic. Not a single bike in the event was street legal but because of the cops on the street nobody ever asked any questions about the dirt bikes on the road. It was a brilliant idea.

I remember the observing being very fair, the course well marked and the US crouds being very pumped up for the trial. Yes it was a long event and being before minders the riders had to carry their own tools and water. So if you got in trouble on the course, you were in BIG trouble.

If I've got my time line right , Cycle World magazine did a really nice article on the event , or it may have been an earlier one . I remember the article because there was a full page photo of my brother in a stream on a TL125 in a ratty looking reddish button down shirt riding the support class! It was a real nice picture and why they published the one of him I'll never understand ! But it was a great event ! even if he missed the same section every loop , He still loved it !!!

:unsure::)

Glenn

Added on edit after a call to my brother in ore. The article I refer to came out in March of 1974 ...

Edited by axulsuv

Lane - thanks for the information, I was hoping to hear from you. I have a xerox copy of the event program that has a picture of you on the front. I'd be happy to send you a copy of a copy. Any chance you could scan the photo and email it to me? A decent resolution would help because I plan on blowing it up to poster size.

Man, sounds like a good trade! I'm a dumbo on the computer, I'll recruit my son to scan the photo, it's a good one but only a 5 by 7. I'd love one of the posters as well after they are done.

My email is leavittation@aol.com, send me an email and I'll have Steve scan the photo and get it out to you.

Man, sounds like a good trade! I'm a dumbo on the computer, I'll recruit my son to scan the photo, it's a good one but only a 5 by 7. I'd love one of the posters as well after they are done.

My email is leavittation@aol.com, send me an email and I'll have Steve scan the photo and get it out to you.

Mike,

I recall Trail Rider magazine having a spread of photos. I know this magazine has changed hands a number of times and I do not know what kind of archives they may or may not have, but you may want to try them.

Rick

• 16 years later...