'04 Sherco 290

utah

Looking to purchase a trials bike. This will be 1st for me.

Pro's & con's for SHerco? Everything I read sounds like it may be better choice than gas gas or montesa.

I look fwd: to reading all opinions so that I may make an informed purchase decision.

Thanks!

Spud~ Thanks for taking a look at my post.

I just started researching yesterday and did read a couple of posts on a local trials club site. Info VERY limited. Just today have I found TRIALS CENTRAL which appears to be frequented by serious, dedicated trials riders. I expect that these riders have a significant amount of experience with various bikes.

The reason I asked about the '04 Sherco 290 is that there is one listed for sale in a local paper. It states "...low hours, excellant condition.." blah blah. The picture of it does seem to have few blemishes. I posted because I want to hear pro's & con's for that model.

Also listed locally is an '01 Montesa 315 and a '99 gas gas 280 (i think)

The Cota and Sherc are both about $3,000 and the GG is $2,300.

Which of these give most bang for the buck?

Thanks again for all response.

The only thing i can say is i've owned an 04 Sherco. the power was good but the stator plate went. Nice handling bike like the Gas Gas but not as much power as a 300cc Gas Gas. Gas Gas i found was better in the mud whereas the sherco was a more stable machine. Gas Gas was is better for hopping and is a touch lighter and i've had no problems with my Gas Gas.

Edited by spud

The Sherco is a great bike if well kept. Don't let a few normal scratches put you off as these things will happen.

For a new rider the Sherco 2.9 is pretty aggressive in stock trim, but a few simple mods such as a slow throttle and re setting the ignition timing makes things much more manageable.

There is a CHERRY '04 Mont for sale here in Texas! But it costs more! They are becoming somewhat rare!

:wacko:

Cope~

Thanks for input. That said about the '04 Cota, how does the '01 stack up? Local bike listed as having only 10 hrs. Same ask price as the '04 Sherco. $3k +-

Mainly expect to be riding rocks in Soutern utah if that makes a differance as far as power delivery, handling, etc.

Thanks again!

Utah, $3,000 for an '01 315R is a little steep. I have a 2000 that I paid half of that, it has been well used however and not like new. That being said, the Montesa is a solid bike and I like it a lot. It starts easy and can take a lot of punishment. The rear wheels are unique and work well. The low and mid range torque are great, but the top end seems lacking. With both being priced the same I would probably buy the 2.9 sherco probably.