Repairing Silencers

racey

Has anyone cut open a Sherco silencer and repaired/repacked it. Mines a 2006 and is rattling as though something is loose inside, no doubt a baffle or inner pipe. I wondered if anyone had advice on which way to cut it open and what to expect once this is done. I assume it would need to be welded back up again unless there's an alternative.

Angle grinder! Remove the back - follow the outer lines and cut as clean as possible. Repack as required and weld back up. If you dont have the facilities then most garages/bike shops have the gear. Mine went on an 04 after 6 months, once i done the cut and shut i never had a problem!

Shercoholic, thanks a lot for this link - I couldn't find this when I glanced through.

It will have saved me a lot of time as I haven't had the chance to sort it yet

Much appreciated

racey

Actually, there is Gen 2 out now, Chris Mountechet on the STRA board has made some neat inserts and replacement panels to make them more easily repackable.

I have a set to install next one, I just have not gotten too it yet.

You could PM him off the STRA website probably and see if you could get the pieces from him.

I think it will make them really slick if you go through the effort one time.