Action 100 Bikeride 2007

barrybaines

Well in a moment of madness I have agreed too do the Bristol too London cycle ride on August 26th, in fairness it is something I have wanted too do for a long time and the fitness thing will no doubt help out in trials riding (falling off) and it is a sponsored thing for charity so Please find some good within yourselves dig deep and click the sponsorship link in my signature

P.S anyone else doing this?

No I have a Giant Escape M1, basically a hybrid Mtb with road gearing and tyres I have started doing the 30 mile round trip too work which is going well.

See how I get on with having too wake up at 5:30 all next week though as I am on earlys!!

My Brother is doing it on a On One Il Pompino can't remember if he said he will be going single speed or Fixed ;) either way he has done it before in a time of 6 and a half hours I am sure too want too push this time :)

Good luck on a full susser the Chriss!

Thought I'd do a quick update after my first full weeks training!

Well as the weather has been good I really pushed myself this week and have totted up 200.93 miles. 67 of which were today on my first long distance ride.

Left Chepstow all the way up the A48 onto the A40 @ Gloucester and joined onto the A38 back down too Bristol then down through Olveston and back over the bridge.

I am 100% knackered now and am gonna do bugger all till the morning bar breath....

Perhaps I should choose a route with less hills? the 2 mile long 1 in 10 was a true killer

:o my plans have been foiled yet again!

Not sure about that face though only been once befor and the run up if I remember rightly was a tad sketchy? just be playing tomorrow and making sure my old bike is running OK

legs are just coming back too life now so hope too be ok'ish in the morning, either that or completely locked up?

• 2 months later...

Well today seen me enter my first organised (term used lightly!) cycle ride... Bristol's biggest bike ride, I entered the Clevedon challange which in itself was only 38 miles but fairly hilly. Obviously I live in Chepstow so thought I may as well start from home to add a few extra miles.

So you have a fully orgaised event that on all the main roads with decent signage would you

A: Put all your event arrows and marshalls here or

B: make more use of them on the country lanes with no signs?

Now the answer to this for me is fairly straight forward but it would seem not to the organisers! Better still at a T junction there was an event sign that had in words "TURN RIGHT" now this didn't make sense but you put a bit of faith in the organisers and go with it as did many other entrants, but after some 5 or 6 miles we all said this can't be right and headed back in the other direction turning the incorrect sign around so the writing was on the back.

So after all the rain and nearly bottling out this morning I am very pleased I made the effort and feel great for it. Mileage for anyone interested was from door to door 75.79 miles making this one of, if not my longest ride to date and a total for the past 3 weeks full on training is a fairly respectable 548 miles.

BRING ON AUGUST 26th :o

• 1 month later...

Hopefully although all this very British weather isn't making me want to ride! Still all the head winds can only make me stronger right?

Myself and my Brother rode to Collumpton in mid Devon the other weekend I totalled 99.7 miles from my house (Chepstow) and let me tell you the A38 is one hilly bugger! Plus the weather although a decent temperature, we were riding into a head wind all the way, I think the metoffice site said something like 12-15mph SSW all day.

Doesn't look like I'll quite make the grand mark but maybe just over half?

Strangley really looking forward to it now and am going to have to take it easy this Sunday on the Beta as knowing my luck I'll end up breaking something ;)

Barry

P.S since I started training for this I have only had 2 punctures, snapped one chain and mileage to date is.......... 1563miles