Anyone Know Anything About Trailers?

edgas250

the hitch isnt locking on my new towball, is it possible that the hitch is smaller than 50mm, i thought they were all standard size?

There are a couple of sizes i belive, you could give stuart a ring at Autowbars he`ll set you straight..

I have a feeling you can get hitches (and tow balls) in either 50 mm (metric) or 2 inch (imperial). 2 inch i= 50.8mm which may be why you are having trouble.

its more than .8 of a mm out tho, i measured it with a tap and the hitch is about 47mm?

very weird, think ill buy a new hitch and try that, to be sure,

thanks anyways

I have a feeling you can get hitches (and tow balls) in either 50 mm (metric) or 2 inch (imperial). 2 inch i= 50.8mm which may be why you are having trouble.

its more than .8 of a mm out tho, i measured it with a tap and the hitch is about 47mm?

very weird, think ill buy a new hitch and try that, to be sure,

thanks anyways

OK, there's your problem. That means you have a 1 7/8 inch ball and you've probably got a hitch suitable for a 2 inch or a 50mm. I would think that a new ball is a lot cheaper than a new hitch, and is almost def easier to fit.

Here's a link to demonstrate what I mean. Click here

Good luck.

Edited by scorpa3

50mm is the "standard" these days, but it wasn't always that way. there are many sizes out there, and if you have measured it at 47mm, then get yourself a 50mm one and problem solved.

I think the difference between the 50mm metric ball and the 2" imperial ball, is that one is a completley round ball and the other has a "flat" on the top of the ball, the trouble is, I can't remember which is which?

I do know that the larger hitch will fit on the smaller ball but not lock, so if you hit a bump, off comes the trailer.

BE SURE OF WHICH ONE YOU HAVE ON THE TRAILER AND THE VEHICAL BEFORE YOU HEAD OFF DOWN THE ROAD