Sheco Plastics Change

pillns

Hi

Im looking to update my 02 290 (blue) to an 05 (mostly silver) cosmetically. I have ordered all decals and plastics needed but was have since been told i need to change the colour of my tank to silver.

My concern is that if i spray paint the tank, any petrol that is spilt will react with the paintwork. Is there any special paint out there for plastics that can withstand this and the fact that the plastic may flex in places?

Also a friend mentioned the idea of getting the tank wrapped in silver vinyl, as they heat it up and it mould to shape. Would this be a better option? The 05 decals go onto the tank once silver.

If anyone has done this before and could give any advice or recommend any products i would be very grateful - many thanks

As I recall, the '02 tank is clearcoated over the factory graphic. If it is a near perfect tank and you want to protect it, just clean with alcohol and apply new sticker, tape off edges of sticker and spray edges only with a can of silver- charcoal enamel from the auto parts supply. Most automotive enamels are fuel resistant(not proof). Laquers are not recommended.

If your tank is a bit knackered, you can sand the edges with #320 or scothbrite to give the paint a bit more grip prior to applying sticker.

Messing with the area around fuel cap and screw hole will be up to you(pain in butt) as few will ever notice!

I used Dupli-color Silver Charcoal for a near perfect match. You can add a clearcoat as well(same mfg) for a bit more gloss, once again, not that many would notice, as the base silver is easy to touch up if needed.

If you ever replace or remove sticker, be patient and use heat gun or hairdrier or you will lift factory paint in the process! This creates a real mess as you then have to sand down everything and start over.

I seem to recall RYP selling a silver paint as well, but have not tried it.

Hope that helps! :D

Ok thanks, the paint on my tank is flaking off around the fuel cap so will have to sand it down. I think a new 05 tank would be big money with the fuel tap aswell. Ill have a go at spraying it and let you know,

Thanks again