Bultaco 199a 350t

fantic 300 pro

I have just bought a very nice all orignal 350 Sherpa. The bike has not been used in the last 15 years except a few runs up and down the drive. I took it out a couple of weeks ago and it quit on me at the top of a hill after about 20 mins of riding. It would not restart until it cooled down after 15-20 mins, the air temp was about 76 F. Once I got it going I had no probs for another 2 or so hours. I then took the bike out the following week in 90 degree heat, after 15 mins same thing bike cut out on me and would not start for 5 mins. The problem now is that the bike will start but after a min it will cut out on me and continue doing so. Can anybody help please, is it the condensor or HT coil under the tank, should I install new points?

Many thanks for any help given.

As the bike has been stood for a long time and not used enough to get hot it may be worth changing the crankcase oil seal on the ignition side as they tend to go hard and can play up when the bike gets hot. If the other side seal has gone you will notice the bike will burn gearbox oil. Worth checking the coils etc also. <_<

Hi Fantic 300 Pro: Sorry as my English is not perfect. The problem is the condensator (I hope it is the correct word in English). This is a very common problem in the Bultacos. Change it also the points and spark plug, and as Bo driker says, also check the coil.

You can also put an electronic ignition and you will never have this problem again.

Edited by Greeves

Mr Greeves,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I have a new condensor, points and coil coming, how does an electronic igniton help the sherpa? and who makes one?

Thanks again!

If it's not already you can relocate the condenser to under the tank. Keeps it cooler.

Don't forget about the Bultaco Owners Forum for all kinds of delicious information.

Hi everyone just joined (after 20 years of bringing up the kids etc) could anyone help me with the colour of a 198a did they come in both red and blue or just blue? Has anyone got a digital parts manual or anything as I intend to take a few months rebuilding (just for reliability and NOT for looks) then starting using in trail. Can anyone help also with any clubs around the Hull area? Thanks

I have heard that the electronic ignition prevented(or helped prevent) the bikes from going into reverse at tickover speeds! That may be a big plus, if you have ever had it happen to you!

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

hey,

you must check the ignition coil in the flywheel,

I had the same problem whit my bultaco, previous owner used the wrong coil for ignition (ignition coil has 3 wires coming out of it) he used the light coil or the coil for the horn (only 2 wires )

regards bob

ps sorry for any spelling mistakes not used to white in English