Registering A Bike With Dvla Uk

cota315r

Hi

I have just bought a Montesa Cota 315R and want to get it road registered so I can legally use it on green lanes. I've seen several advertised with log books and T&T so it must be possible.

At the moment I've yet to collect the bike. It does not have any lights on it. But does come with a "lighting kit". I don't know what's in the kit (if its complete or not).

What modifications does one have to do to a bike such as this to get an MOT. I assume one does not even technically have to fit lights for the old "daytime MOT" as its so-called! But I may do this anyway as lights might be useful.

Obviously I'd like to get an age related plate (in this case it would be a R plate). How does one convince the old DVLA on this score? Is there an owners club or some such thing that will write a letter confirming the year of manufacture if you supply them with engine and frame numbers?

Cheers

Stumpy

Hi

I have just bought a Montesa Cota 315R and want to get it road registered so I can legally use it on green lanes. I've seen several advertised with log books and T&T so it must be possible.

At the moment I've yet to collect the bike. It does not have any lights on it. But does come with a "lighting kit". I don't know what's in the kit (if its complete or not).

What modifications does one have to do to a bike such as this to get an MOT. I assume one does not even technically have to fit lights for the old "daytime MOT" as its so-called! But I may do this anyway as lights might be useful.

Obviously I'd like to get an age related plate (in this case it would be a R plate). How does one convince the old DVLA on this score? Is there an owners club or some such thing that will write a letter confirming the year of manufacture if you supply them with engine and frame numbers?

Cheers

Stumpy

You need to contact Sandifords(the importer)and ask for a certificate of newness quoting the frame number.When you have this you need an MOT issuued on the frame number,insurance likewise.Get in touch with your local DVLA office and tell them you want to register the bike You take it to them they inspect it and issue you a registration and tax disc.I seem to remember it costs

Hi

Thanks for the replies they were useful.

Am I right in understanding then that -

1) I must fit a horn

2) if I have lights then I must also fit indicators and also a brake light

Does anybody know what exactly should be in a lighting kit for a Montesa?

Cheers

John

Edited by cota315R

If the bike is (i think) pre 1981 then it does not need indicators. If no lights are fitted you can get a daytime MOT only.

A horn does need to be fitted to all machines but pre 1974 (again i think) can have a bulb horn. Anything post 1974 requires a proper constant tone horn such as in your car.

If no lights are fitted you can get a daytime MOT only.

I looked at the MOT testers manual and it says that all you need is a horn and if you have no lights then -

"If this situation occurs the vehicle presenter should be issued with an advisory notice recording the above and it should also be recorded on the carbon copy of the VT20"

I was told it is illegal for the MOT station to "deface" the MOT certificate by writing anything on it like "For Use During daylight hours only" and that you can actually insist that a new certificate be issued if this is the case. But the above seems to contradict that (assuming of course that the "carbon copy" is the one we receive? I've seen a few MOT certificates in my time but I'd not realized they were carbon copies!

I loved reading the following as well -

"A motor bicycle is only required to have a dipped-beam headlamp (but may also have a main beam) if it:

. was first used on or after 1st May 1995 and cannot exceed 30 mph / 50 kph with an engine capacity not exceeding 50cc. or

. was first used before 1 January 1972 and with an engine capacity of less than

50cc.

. any machine having a maximum speed not exceeding 50km/h/30mph"

Love it that rules out everything bar mopeds!

Don't know how true this is. Its like all information received from others (it may or may not be true and could be any shade in between!)

Edited by cota315R