Hello Folks

90vanman

Hi folks, another newbie,sort of, after several years with a BSA B40 Otter I gave up riding for a couple of years. I recently returned to the sport and bought a Greeves TES250, a lovely bike and the 3rd scottish I have owned. I have a small problem with jetting on the 626 Amal fitted, to get it to run long enough to warm up and keep running at idle involves holding the tickler down almost constantly. Anyone help me with main jet size, pilot jet size and needle jet/needle settings? As a matter of interest, are there ANY trials being run in S E England, it seems very quiet on the Pre-65 front in the eastern centre. T A F N, Dave (90vanman)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dave. As no other forum member has made a stab at ideas for your problem with the Greeves, I hope the following contact number might at least get a response from the best bods for Amal carbs I have dealt with. Try Surrey Cycles who supply most, if not all, parts and even a tune up guide for models including the concentric, monobloc and pre-monobloc, plus Mk2 and some racing carb items too. I dealt with them some years ago when having problems with a Brockhouse Corgi of all things and they looked up what I needed in the way of jets and needle and supplied the lot. Worth a try. Their number is 01483-272328 and website is www.amalcarburettors.co.uk. I just looked them up on the net to get this info so know they are still doing the business with all things Amal. You could also try www.villiersservices.co.uk who have recently obtained about 4 ton of ex-Greeves factory stock so their site says. Thought I'd have a quick ferret for you on the net. Good luck with the Scottish. Regards Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Dave. As no other forum member has made a stab at ideas for your problem with the Greeves, I hope the following contact number might at least get a response from the best bods for Amal carbs I have dealt with. Try Surrey Cycles who supply most, if not all, parts and even a tune up guide for models including the concentric, monobloc and pre-monobloc, plus Mk2 and some racing carb items too. I dealt with them some years ago when having problems with a Brockhouse Corgi of all things and they looked up what I needed in the way of jets and needle and supplied the lot. Worth a try. Their number is 01483-272328 and website is www.amalcarburettors.co.uk. I just looked them up on the net to get this info so know they are still doing the business with all things Amal. You could also try www.villiersservices.co.uk who have recently obtained about 4 ton of ex-Greeves factory stock so their site says. Thought I'd have a quick ferret for you on the net. Good luck with the Scottish. Regards Steve

Hi, thanks for showing interest and "ferreting" on the net, I still haven't competed on it yet, but on running it quite hard the other day it nipped up and rattled quite badly. It seems to run fairly hot, but shows no sign of weakness through air leaks, so I'm a bit baffled still. As I don't yet know when I shall be riding competitively I still have time to sort it out. I shall speak to Neville at Surrey Cycles and try new settings as advised by him. Once again, thanks for the interest, Dave