Vancouver Island Riding?

ross154

I love your island and therefore hate you for living there :icon_salut: Jealousy is a terrible thing.

Steve Fracy would be a good first port of call if you don't already know him. I know there are others over there, but Steve springs to mind, I'm sure he'll spot your post pretty soon.

So what machine have you come back in to it with? Montesa in the blood or tried something else?

Edited by bikespace

Picked up a 02 scorpa sy 250 and a Montesa 315r 03. My son and wife have taken over the Monty, so I am riding the scorpa. Seems to be a pretty good bike, other the regular used bike items. Was having alot of fun riding around the property until my wife ran over her own rhodosomething and put stop to it!! But no, I haven't met anyone around here who rides trials, thought someone might be on the forums.

Edited by ross154

Hi Ross:

I am in Shawnigan Lake just north of Victoria. We have two clubs down here that run events thoughout the year. The VMC in Victoria own a great piece of land 172acres of trials paradise, and we also have a huge piece that we lease here on the west side of the lake. There is also a great group in the Courtney /Comox area that get together every weekend. Let me know specifiacally what you are looking for in the way of info?

Steve

Hi Ross:

I am in Shawnigan Lake just north of Victoria. We have two clubs down here that run events thoughout the year. The VMC in Victoria own a great piece of land 172acres of trials paradise, and we also have a huge piece that we lease here on the west side of the lake. There is also a great group in the Courtney /Comox area that get together every weekend. Let me know specifiacally what you are looking for in the way of info?

Steve

Any contacts in the Courtenay/Comox area? My son and I spent the last 3 - 4 yrs riding and competing in MX, but alot of the areas we used to practise have been closed down for mc's. Needless to say trials is a whole different animal. Wouldn't mind meeting someone who could point us in the right direction regarding maintenance, riding tips and areas. I am also somewhat shocked at how few major aftermarket companies support a trials line of thier equipment, reeds, pistons, BARS, boots and others, maybe I'm looking in the wrong areas. Do you have competitions on the island? Are there different age group/ability levels? Do the comp's have camping facilities? Are there clinics or such like? And why does Montesa crackcase oil cost so much?? But I digress, we are just finding that riding the logging roads and dodging security isn't all that fun (and these bikes don't have the quick getaway abilitiesof MXer's). Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ross:

Well, I can say yes to most of your questions. We have competitions all year round, and if you are from out of town there is usually camping available too! Montesa questions should be directed at Dan at Dallan Motorsports in Cobble Hill. If you go the the My Controls section on the header you can leave a personal message for any registered member on here. Send one to Joostio, who is in Courtney and is part of the group who get together every weekend. He also has a post on the Trials Canada site with details of where they meet and what times.There is actually a good selection of aftermarket parts on here and around the US. What are you looking for specifically?? Feel free to email me at teamfracy@shaw.ca

Steve

hello. I guess by now you figured out where and when we meet. 10 am,sundays at A&W on the south side of town. We generally trail ride while stopping at certain hill climbs or obstacles. the ride is tailored to the level of ability of whom ever shows up. I just live up the coats from you in Union Bay. The best ridding out here is at Comox lake. killer single track technical terrain. how old is your son? maybe we will meet this sunday, just look for the guys with the gas gas hats, they are the same guys who marvel at the Montesa ridder (me). I am a bit out numbered up here, there are a few scorpa's up here, but mostly gas gas.

I use auto track 2 from GM in my trans on the monty, not expensive and a lot of guys use this. I bought a case long ago and still have plenty. as far as ftermarket goes, the bikes are built pretty good out of the box, guys I know get a bit invovlved in set up, ie: jetting and carb settings. you can get fast or slow and progressive throttles. I sprung for some fancy foot pegs. not much preformance gear needed.

Hope to see you one of these sundays! Rain or shine.

Edited by joostio

hello. I guess by now you figured out where and when we meet. 10 am,sundays at A&W on the south side of town. We generally trail ride while stopping at certain hill climbs or obstacles. the ride is tailored to the level of ability of whom ever shows up. I just live up the coats from you in Union Bay. The best ridding out here is at Comox lake. killer single track technical terrain. how old is your son? maybe we will meet this sunday, just look for the guys with the gas gas hats, they are the same guys who marvel at the Montesa ridder (me). I am a bit out numbered up here, there are a few scorpa's up here, but mostly gas gas.

I use auto track 2 from GM in my trans on the monty, not expensive and a lot of guys use this. I bought a case long ago and still have plenty. as far as ftermarket goes, the bikes are built pretty good out of the box, guys I know get a bit invovlved in set up, ie: jetting and carb settings. you can get fast or slow and progressive throttles. I sprung for some fancy foot pegs. not much preformance gear needed.

Hope to see you one of these sundays! Rain or shine.

Hi, will try to get out in the next few weeks (work keeps interfering with the important stuff). My son is 13, but seems to be picking it up quick. I'm just down the road in Buckley Bay, is there any areas around here just to get out and practice?

I haven't found too much close by, a short trail next to the trent river, I have been working on a trail in Union Bay but it is in progress and still short. I just paly around on an over pass by my house, the over pass goes across the inland island highway. There are apperenlty a few atv trails across the highway down by you, up Fanny bay main, the guard at the gate won't let you in so you would need to find another way, not difficult. I could show you the trent river trail on night after work, would need to be soon with it getting darker earlier and all. 335 2474, ask for Joost. i work 8 to 5 tuesday to sat. I won't be at the ride this sunday, fire department trainning! Sucks to be me! I hope to get out on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

Joost:

Can you please let all the guys up your way know that we will be having the Run Through the Jungle at the ISTC property Oct14, and it is a do not miss affair. Right up your guys alley. The funnest event of the year, all single track and no road!

Steve

I haven't found too much close by, a short trail next to the trent river, I have been working on a trail in Union Bay but it is in progress and still short. I just paly around on an over pass by my house, the over pass goes across the inland island highway. There are apperenlty a few atv trails across the highway down by you, up Fanny bay main, the guard at the gate won't let you in so you would need to find another way, not difficult. I could show you the trent river trail on night after work, would need to be soon with it getting darker earlier and all. 335 2474, ask for Joost. i work 8 to 5 tuesday to sat. I won't be at the ride this sunday, fire department trainning! Sucks to be me! I hope to get out on Monday.

Sorry I haven't got back to you. Works been pretty busy, I was hoping to get out this weekend. Most of the time in the last couple of weeks I haven't been getting home till after dark, and I'm haven't been motivated enough to go out in the rain on the weekends. I am hoping this weekend will clear up some what.