Ty Mono Problem

adrianvent

Hello new to ty's just got a 86 ty 250 mono with a couple of problems but one i can not work out when you rev the engine revs pick up slowly and throtling off revs die down gradually over 2 or 3 seconds .Have checked reeds and there is no gap, and carb slide is working opening and closing fine the cables not trapped any ideas ?

thanks Adrian

I can't comment about 250, but the 350 mono is turtle slow on response both up & down due to the flywheel. Common mod is take off half the outer ring and it helps alot. some take all the ring off, but it vibrates alot more. I take off half to 60%, biggest change is on shutdown, say at top of a bank or something. The whole flywheel takes you on forever, the trimmed version is a bit more modern feeling.

kcj

i had one of these for a few years. the throttle reponse on mine was the same, not sure if it was suposed to do it but it never let me down. i never trialed it so it wasnt such a problem for me but i think its normal on those.

forgot to note: You can get around it by using the clutch a lot more.

I came off the street, tended to ride old style, no stop, with throttle only. Took a lot of instruction (i.e.nagging) from friends to learn slipping the clutch doesn't hurt it. The TY I had had a 19 year old clutch original, so they can take it!

Hello new to ty's just got a 86 ty 250 mono with a couple of problems but one i can not work out when you rev the engine revs pick up slowly and throtling off revs die down gradually over 2 or 3 seconds .Have checked reeds and there is no gap, and carb slide is working opening and closing fine the cables not trapped any ideas ?

thanks Adrian

Take the flywheel off and check that the crank seal hasnt gone on the ignition side, this make the engine "race " a little when its slowing down, it would normally run weak as well