Over Sensitive Throttle

rah

with the bike dialed in to have a low top speed, i find the throttle impossibly sensitive for a 3 year old - for him it is basically a digital on and off switch - providing a near instant 0-5mph acceleration. great torque but intimidating for a 3 year old. I would have hoped that with 2007 electronic technology the throttle reponse would be smooth and linear over the length the throttle turn. Clearly, this isn't so easy to do. Anyone have ideas for a work around?

Aye up, It says in the manual that the "lag" on the throttle goes away as the potenionionomter( :huh: ) is turned up more but we have a loony 3 y.o so for the mo' we have the same issues as yourself.

If you want a laugh wait till its rained,turn it up to full whack on a grass field (soft landing needed) and stand back and prepare for the melee!!!, proper funny, its like putting a monkey on a turbo hayabusa!!

p.s no small people were hurt in the production of this experiment!!

Aye up, It says in the manual...

You read the instructions! I thought fella's didn't do that sort of thing :huh:

I've noticed that the throttle becomes more progressive as the speed gets wound up, Ryan is on a 1/3rd or mebbe half speed at the moment and he can crawl away from a standing start - better throttle control than his daft Dad :huh:

Aye up, It says in the manual...

You read the instructions! I thought fella's didn't do that sort of thing :huh:

Of course i dont normally read instructions!! are you mad!, but as the smalls are involved i thought i best had, just in case........... :huh:

i really cant quite believe what cool things they are we have been out in the street playing on 'em too and the noisiest thing is me pretending to be Martin Lampkin "stand up, use yer brakes, speed up, slow down" etc.

In fact its nearly as much fun as riding yer sen and at least i can teach them to ride properly......unlike their dad!!!(me, not the milkman!)

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem. My daughter just whacked the throttle and I could not get her to do otherwise. I then stumbled on some magic drill on a website, probably on thumpertalk.

With the OSET turned off, have her (him) roll the throttle. She will whack it. Then hold your hands straight out in front of your hips with the palms pointed upwards (as if lifting a table). Slowly bring your hands up above your shoulders and then slowly back down. Ask her to roll the throttle at the same rate. After about 4 tries, it was obvious my daughter had fully turned the throttle before my hands had gotten past my stomach level. When she was able to roll the throttle slow enough to be finished at the same rate as I raised my hands to head level, and was able to roll it back as slow as I put them back to my hip level, I the let her do it about 4 more times for practice. Since then, she rolls, not whacks the throttle. When you see how gently she rolls out nowadays, you will see the throttle works just fine, its a matter of technique.

My only peave about the throttle is that when the governor is set to soft, the throttle has a lot of dead twist before power comes on. This is difficult for a little guy to turn the throttle halfway with nothing, and then all of a sudden, ZAP, a big shot of acceleration. I use a 1/4-inch-width duct tape strip wrapped a few times and then out to the handlebars to keep it from goind back all the way into the dead zone.