Old Photo - Greeves In Scotland

steve

Hi all,

My Dad asked me to scan a picture of an old work van he had and on the same page were some pictures of his trials days that I though you may find interesting.

I was going to tell you what year but perhaps you might like to guess?

scotland-web.jpg

Kelloggs Corn Flakes, followed by bacon; eggs and fried bread... white "Y fronts"

It could be around 1961/62 going by the Greeves, however the registration 152 DWL looks like an earlier number maybe 1959/60.

Go on then when was it, more importantly where was the shot taken, looks pretty high up going by the background scenery?

Big John

The photo was taken in 1962 - however the bikes were not new, perhaps 1959? I'll check with Dad later.

The location was Kinlochleven, Loch Eild Path, Altnafeadh according to what is written below the picture.

The photo was taken in 1962 - however the bikes were not new, perhaps 1959? I'll check with Dad later.

The location was Kinlochleven, Loch Eild Path, Altnafeadh according to what is written below the picture.

OK, Loch Eilde Path that is above the town of Kinlochleven taking you up to Loch Eilde Mor, however Altnafeadh is somewhat distant from the town of Kinlochleven, in fact just opposite the Buachaille Etive Mor. The location height indicates to me that the photo was most probably taken near the summit of Loch Eilde Path. What was he doing up there, certainly not competing in the SSDT as the bikes have no competition number plates fitted!

I can only suggest that they were riding up Loch Eilde Path from Kinlochleven and taking a trip towards Altnafeadh on what is now the West Highland Way.

Big John

No he wasn't competing, I think he followed the trial round and did a little trail riding.

Big John, my Dad is Mo Bird I think you may know him, if you don't you will certainly have seen him around. I am not sure how many times he has been to the SSDT and Pre 65 to observe but I don't think he has missed many years since the early 60's if any at all. He never did ride in either Trial though. He has always said when he was good enough he couldn't afford it and when he could afford it he wasn't good enough!!!

Sadly due to ill health I am not sure if he will make many more trips up North. My one big regret is never riding the trial myself but I hope one day to do the Pre 65 event. I would dearly love my Dad to see me ride it but another year has slipped by.